Honest opinion on the Xcal2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Yee

Reaction score
ok guys.. i'm almost convinced to pick one of these up from Wfoy at Hypillauto. I really want to know if this superchip mod really does as much as ppl have said. I've got the basic cat-back and CAI installed and I want more juice.

It seems that most ppl who do this mod are really pleased but is there really that much difference?

Much difference? How many Sport Tracs do you know that run mid 15 1/4 miles. I know of 1, and it has an Xcalibrator (that would be mine).

I havent bought one myself...but I have friends that have them for their performance cars..it is very impressive, the changes in tune does to their cars...that includes actual dyno numbers they have ran before and after ...

It is outstanding. Just installed mine. It's like I put a shift kit in the tranny. Firm/crisp shifts. Throttle responce much improved. My trac is bone stock with 90,000 miles on it. You won't be sorry. Very easy to use as well.

Bob

We got one with a tune for better gas mileage, and one for towing before we left for Dallas last Sept.; all I can say is it is worth every penny. You won't be sorry. Take a look at our posts from the last week in Sept. & the first week in Oct. that we made along our trip. :D

I've got the XCal2 and I'm happy with it, but MPG, I learned, has lots to do with driving style. You've got mail btw.

I love the performance boost that I got, and Wayne's customer service is second to none! I've got both 87 octane and 91 octane performance tunes, and I've also got a new mileage tune, but I've only tried the 87 performance tune so far. I've been wanting to take a good MPG reading, but I can't seem to keep my heavy foot off the go-pedal. The firmer shifts are amazing!

-Jeff, I'd love to race you one day. (you'd most likely win, but it would be fun!)

Personally the x-cal should be the FIRST mod you ever do... The factory computer can only adjust so much. So the exhaust and intake you put on my be actually slowing you down...

The Xcal reprograms the computers library with new values and forces it to run the way you want it and not to pick a happy medium as the factory wants.

MPG... You will get a gain in MPG.. that is if you can keep the gas pedal off the front bumper. :D:lol:

I have been well up in to the mid 20's in mpg on the highway...

Larry, all 3 of us can line them up... Would be fun... I know i may loose leaving almost 1000 lbs on the table... :unsure:

Todd Z

Lol, I think Larry has the upper hand being that he probably weighs 100lbs les than me or Todd. I've got the y-pipe, but so does Todd, but he's also packin the 4x4 package. Personally I'd like to give myself the edge, but I think the first 60ft would be extremely close.

Guess I need to order some more stuff from Wayne, soon as I finish the whole home theater setup currently in progress. I just picked up 2 18" Yamaha subs today, now I'm looking for an amp, and unless Wayne sells those, I'll have to look elsewhere...but as soon as the MAFS's he's workin on are available, I'll get one of those, as well as a RandomTech Hi-flo cat, and probably a set of retunes.

Can you get a special tune for E-85 fuel? The stations around here rate is as 106 octane. Ford says that our stock engine has 5 more hp with E-85. It really seems like it has more pep when I use it. Wonder what it would get with a tune set up for 106 octane. Also it's only $1.75 here and only went to $1.99 when gas was over $3.30.

Red,

Contact wayne, I do not see why you could not get it...

Todd Z

The jury is still out on the xcal2 for me. I only got it about a month ago just in time for the crappy winter gas up here in the Northeast. I got two tunes, a mileage tune and a performance tune. I was averaging about 16 MPG on the stock tune. With the performance tune I dropped to 13. I have to say that the ST REALLY responds well and I would describe the shifts as not stiffer as some would say but actually smoother. You just do not feel the transmission changing gears. I'm sure alot of the drop in MPG is directly realted to my right foot but why not. If I use the mileage tune I'm only seeing a slight difference to about 17 mpg. I have not taken any long trips like Phily to Orlando as I seem to do at least once a year. So I can get a better look at the mileage tune on that trip. In trips past I would get 20-21 MPG to Florida. I hope to get better then that.

Do you really think it would help with the transmission? That alone makes me interested. I don't think the mileage tune is enough to shell out the money and the ST has plenty of power for me but knowing all the people here that have reported transmission problems, I might get one if you think it would prolong the tranny.