hose to nowhere?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James W

Reaction score
I have an '03 Trac. I just noticed a rubber hose (dangling down near my rear universal joint). It can be seen from the rear of the vehicle. I crawled under the truck and found it is attached to the frame crossmember just in front of the spar tire. They I followed the other end of the hose and found that it wasn't connected. So does anyone know where that hose is supposed to be connected? I was wondering if it may had been some hose for fuel overfill, but it didn't look like it. It is approx 1/2" -3/4" outside diameter.

Trac runs fine and no issues noted.

One end is connected to either the pumpkin on the rear or right on the Left side of the axle housing. ( ford used 2 places for a while)

Then the top is open ended and is tucked up by the frame.... I zip tied mine up by the spair.

Todd Z

Yup, zip tied mine back up too. It's more scary than it is hurtful.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is the differantial vent hose. Just tie it up out of the way. If the tube gets plugged with dirt or mud or it comes off of the differential and the connection at the differential gets plugged up, it will greate to much pressure and heat in the differential and lead to leaking seals and or burned bearings.

as above, If that vent tube is not functional, the pressure generated in the pumpkin will explode the entire rear diff and destroy your trac from the cab back, tons of cast iron shrapnel.;)

So the press-fit rubber hose will hold enough pressure if plugged to explode the rear axle? Glad you told me!:p