Hot engine...Part two

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraEd Swank

Reaction score
I have had a problem where when the truck sits at idle for 5 minutes or more (stop and go traffic for instance), the AC shuts off and the temp gauge starts climbing (but never goes into the red zone). After that, the transmission acts up until cool again. The truck cools off pretty quick after moving once again.

So, I had the thermostat changed and fresh coolant. The problem is still there. The fan/fan clutch seems to be working okay, but no specific rpm measurement has been taken if that makes any difference.

Any idea what else can be causing this hot blooded condition????

Thanks.

Ed

Replace the radiator cap.

Also, flush your system with a cleaner made for cooling systems. Refill with water and drive for a while. See if it overheats.

Tom

Ok, here is one way to eliminate the radiator or confirm it is the issue.

Run it up to temp by either driving or idling, what ever gets the temp to rise.

Turn of your Trac. Pull the keys for safety, put them in you pocket for additional safety.

Open the hood, reach around the shroud of the radiator. Put the palm of your hand on the cooling fins. Start at the top left of the cooling fins, move you hand up and down as you move over to the other side of the radiator. It should be the same general temperature all the way across. If you hit a cold spot or an area that is much cooler than the radiator is plugged up. If not, then your radiator is good to go.

Gavin...That was my first thought from the original post. These new thermal fan clutches can fool you. The only way to really test them is with a strobe tach. I have seen them go bad in 3 to 4 years.

My mechanic does not have one of these tachs. And, probably will not buy one either. He can change out the fan clutch for about $140, parts and labor. I'm wondering about just having that done vs. taking it to a dealer, and hoping they actaully do the test (it's a mutistep process from what I read). Even then, I would have a diag fee as well as the repair fee on top.

I will try the radiator hand temp check in the next couple days (real busy at work this week!).

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts