How Bad are Goodyears?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Cacioppo

Reaction score
Ever wonder why so many complain about the OEM Goodyears? The

survey results from Tire Rack may answer your question.

Results from our Tire Rack online tire survey:

OEM Goodyear Wranglers RT/S

Dry Traction 7.2

Wet Traction 5.4

Hydro Resistance 5.4

Snow Traction 5.5

Cornering Stability 6.1

Steering Response 6.4

Ride Comfort 6.3

Noise Comfort 6.3

Tread Wear 6.7

Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos

Dry Traction 9.4

Wet Traction 9.2

Hydro Resistance 9.1

Snow Traction 9.0

Cornering Stability 8.8

Steering Response 8.8

Ride Comfort 8.8

Noise Comfort 8.6

Tread Wear 8.6

Key: Superior (8.6-10) Excellent (6.6-8.5) Good (4.6-6.5) Fair (2.6-4.5) Unacceptable (0-2.5)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure that the numbers would be much lower if they had polled members of this site. Unacceptable all across the board would not be a suprise.

Adam S

Rodger (& Georgia), what I am trying to show is that the OEM tires that everyone , well most, are complaining about have a very poor rating. The REVOs , a good replacement choice but not the only good replacement, confirms the accolades that many members have given them. You would assume that the ALL season would fair better than ALL TERRAIN in the categories of wet / dry handling and road noise since these are not off road characteristics.

I am still running the OEM RT/S with almost 68K miles on them. They are a little slick on wet roads and at this point they are badly cupped. But, for 68K miles on a set of OEM's with at least another 10K of tread left on them, I really can't complain.

That being said, they will probably be replaced after Christmas.

The RT/S's on my Ranger were nearly bald after 19,000 miles. My sister has a set on her Explorer with over 60,000, they need replaced, but still....I dunno.

I also have the Goodyears and have no complaints. They have 40k miles on them and are wearing perfectly. I have never had any problems in wet weather, but then I slow down like you're supposed to. I see plenty of people that don't.(Trac's included) Go figure.

The goodyears that came with my ST cupped badly by 4500 miles and had to be replaced at 16000 miles because they were terribly cupped and very annoying. I replaced with Michelin Cross Terrains and left those on for about another 16000 miles with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. Then, I switched to the BFG's I have now (mostly for asthetic purposes). I've had the BFG's on for about 7000 miles now and still NO problems. I still have stock shocks (yes, I know...and they will be getting replaced within the year). So it's not the shocks as far as I'm concerned that causes the cupping. It's the crappy tires.

The OEM Goodyears on my ST also cupped very early. I replaced them at 20000 with Michelin LTX M/S. The guy at the mom & pop tire store where i bought the Michelins didn't have anything good to say about the Gooyear tires. The Michelins are riding and wearing great!

I have good year RT/S (like those in the example above) on my fun ride (2006 Jeep Wrangler) and they too suck! I will soon replace them with BFG A/T All Terrains.

You know, I still run my stock GY's I don't have much bad to say about them. On the way to Dallas we went through 100 miles *exactly* of hard wind and rain. No issues or problems, still got great gas miledge. Drive over the road here and there, no problems. In cold weather or hot..no problems No cupping issues nothing.

Guess I'm just lucky ?

Goodyear makes some very good tires, it just so happens that the Wrangler RT/S is not one of them.

I had Goodyear Wrangler RF/A's on my 2001 Sport Trac as replacements for the original Firestone Wilderness AT's. The RT/A's are a "Rotation Free" tire with different tread patterns for the front and rear tires and the "A" indicates they were AquaTreads. I put over 42K miles on those tires when I traded in the 2001 for a 2003 Sport Trac and the tires looked and ran great. The treads looked like they were good for another 40K miles, were never rotated, and the wet weather traction was phenominal.

The biggest problem with the Wrangler RT/S tires is the wet weather traction which can be improved tremendously by having the tire siped.

I have always had good luck with Goodyear tires. The Goodyear replacements for the RF/A's is the new Triple-Tread but they cost $190+ each...Ouch!

...Rich

My 2004 ST came with the Michelin's. My brother's 2003 ST came with the GY - he still has his (no serious off-roadin) but I have already replaced mine with BFG's (265/75R16). I love the increase in traction in both wet and muddy/sandy conditions. I do need the Rancho shocks though...I can tell when my tires are keeping enough contact with the road, especially going up/down bumpy roads/hills while turning. Not gonna do the EE swaybar though...

In short, without being too off-topic i think the GY are a good all-around tire, dirt roads at a max.

Goodyear SR-As are crappy. They last a long time but hydroplane when the slightest amount of moisture appears on the road and they are downright treacherous in snow, slush, or ice.

The worst tires I ever owned were Goodyear Invicta GLs. They cupped badly at 6,000 miles on an Eclipse that my wife used to have. They were the roughest riding and noisiest tires I have ever owned (even noiser than the old bias ply snowtires that I used to run).

My sister had an F-150 with Goodyears (don't remember the model) and it was dangerous in any kind of rain. I drove it around a cloverleaf exit ramp and nearly spun out.

I have not been impressed by Goodyear OEM tires.

Worst tires I've ever had were some Douglas Passenger tires from Wal-Mart on my '96 Taurus. LAsted about 5K miles before being badly out of round. Replaced them at 20K with some warrenty left with Viva2's. That has been a pretty decent tire.

I had Firestone's on my 01 ranger 4x4 and had no complaints. Ford recalled them after about 8000 miles and replaced them with Goodyear's. Nowhere near the traction. My 03 Ranger had Goodyear's and they were ok only because of the 4wd in New England's winter. My 04 ST 4x4 with 16in Goodyear's was absolutely awful in the snow. Bought Michelin LT M/S for the winter and run the Goodyear" in the warm weather. They are still poor in the rain.

Latest posts