How can Ford not take care of tranny issues that all of us are having?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
I thought maybe when I had/have my tranny problem it was a fairly isolated problem... after frequenting the side every 20 mins I see that there are several people a DAY mentioning these problems... Cant we do something about this? I just paid $2000 for nothing on mine, still get the " we'll check it out " story 2x a week....

How can you sell this many BAD TRANNYS and expect people to trust the c ompany that sits there and laffs about it.

Lol... I love my trac. Ive just began upgrading everythign on it...

How much is a NEW tranny???

I wouldnt dump the woman of my dreams cause she had small breasts, id pay for implants! Same goes with my baby's tranny ;)

Its not her fault Ford got a crappy tranny...;)

hey ck.. you should think about dumping it. cause i had an 01 i bought in april 05 and in december my od lite came on, so i took it into ford and they said it was some seal that was torn. so they fixed it. and it cost me 680.00 dollar. and by listening to everyone on here. i thought long and hard. about dumping it. so in january 22,06 i was driving and every stop sign i stopped at it died. and i thought here i go again. so i seen at the chevy dealer a sporttrac sitting there and i stopped in and checked it out. it was an 2005. so i talked to them and they took my 01 and paid it off and put me into the 05 ST. it has 15,000 miles one owner. and it still had the extended warrenty and the manufactor warrenty. so i bought i. and i am so happy now. it rides so good too.. so think about it long and hard and trade it off if you can, before it cost you any more money.. so good luck chris.. keep us posted ok.. ladybug OUT!!!!!

Well, I dunno... I could go to a newer one, and move all the parts over....

I only have 90,000km on it, so its got lots of life left, other than the uhmmmmmm tranny ive had 0 problems with it.

ck, 90,000 km and you have put $2000 in the tranny already...isn't that like about 54K miles (sorry, my conversions are rusty), and if so, doesn't that seem like crap to you?

First sign of the first tranny flare up after 40K miles and my ST is bye-bye...because at that point it will no doubt be intermittent, and instead of putting a bunch of money into her, money that I then have to get back through use, I will just use that same amount of money on a down payment and trader her in while she is worth more...(cause a year or two later after I have convinced myself I got my money's worth on the tranny maint I will be itching to get rid or her anyway...with more miles and worth less and all).

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
hi, My St has 200,000 K on it and my tranny is still running pretty good..i had a flashing o/d about 50,000km ago but iwent away when i restarted the trac and never seen since..now am having the flare problem which is gona cost me about 400 dollers to me self..which is not bad after200,000k

I blew my rear at just over 75k and had it replaced. at about 88k my tranny went. thank god i bought the extended warranty. it only cost me $200 to fix both problems and the rental i got was a 2005 Ford F-150 quad cab. I was thinking about never returning it and letting them keep my S/T.

At 30,000 I had the service done and my OD light came on when I was there so they said. I had the trans. flushed and then they had to drop the pan to replace something. It has never given me a problem and I hope I never have a problem. Good luck to us all!

I bought my '01 with 48,000miles on it and extended warranty. At 56,000 the trans went and the dealer rebuilt it for $50. At 63,000 I traded it for an '05. with 16,000 miles...wish me luck

I didn't want to risk it, so got rid of my Trac and bought a Toyota. Can't even tell you a single name of a service dept worker at the Toyota dealership. Can't say the same for the Ford dealership I've had to take my '06 Ford Escape to. I know them ALL there.

hi, My St has 200,000 K on it and my tranny is still running pretty good..

I would agree that 200,000,000 IS indeed pretty good :p

Mine went South at 12,000. Warranteed of course, but justing waiting for it to happen again...

grump

I dont know... I really dont. The problem is, I owe money on mine still, they will prbably pay it off with a trade, then im paying 2x what I owe to fix a tranny problem? Doesnt really make sense to me.... I might get 50k more miles out of a newer one, but is thats about it....

The same problem has plagued the 5R55E transmission and the previous 4 speed version.

I think Ford looks at it from an economical stand point. If the transmission is likely to last past the 36K mile warranty period, then they are out of the woods. This strategy appears to have worked well for them since it continues.

Will that hurt Ford sales in the future? Only time will tell. But with the current economic problems that all American automakers find themselves today, I don't think you will expect to see Ford jump up and offer extended warranties on 5R55E transmissions any time soon.

...Rich

Hurt them in the future? I beleive its already hurt them with thier financial situation...

I just modded the crap outta my ST, and now im wondering if it was all worth it since the tranny problems... I mean If I could replace it with something that would not give me troubles id keep the ST.

I get lots of compliments on my ST when getting gas and stuff these days.... Word of mouth is a very powerfull thing. People ask " How do you like your ST " and I can say " I love it! No problems, etc " they'd most likely have another customer. But as it stands now, I say " I love it, if the transmission problems werent there " Guaranteed they arent going to buy a ST, and maybe not a FORD all together.

I am going to write Ford today, tell them these sort of things, Im sure it wont make anything happen, but atleast I tried.

... and if I do decide to get out of the ST I wont buy another Ford ever again, because of thier lack of care of what they put in thier vehicles. I think putting a tranny that they know will last the 36K is a kick in the balls! No one with a well run company would view things like that.

... and the sad part is... if I do get out of FORD/ST mine will go to someone that doesnt realize the tranny is pooched, and they will dislike Ford as well, and so on.

So I guess if all the bad publicity is out there, Ford can expect drops in sales, and I wont feel any empathy for them, they have created this problem themselves and deserve it.

FORD: Just remember we are the ones that make your company what it is, and if you are going to kick us in the nuts like this, then we will kick you in the nuts, and take your wallet too!

Step up to the plate, recall these CRAP trannys and do a wrong, right!

DAMN!:angry: Chris, what a statement! I sometimes feel the same way, but at least my tranny didn't go bad until the 116,987 mile mark. But I have seen so many people who have had it go bad much sooner than mine, so yes it is a probl;em that they apparently don't care much about it would seem. I swear that they would change something if they read how many people here are very mad that it won't be vastly improved. I'm sure the 5R55E tranny will be a hot item at the wrecking yards in the future, just as my 400 tranny is on my 91 Explorer EB, which is as rare a find as white rhinos are in the world! I want to keep buying Fords, especially the ST's, but they keep disappointing us with concepts and then delivering makeovers from inside out. I can also say the same about the GM people too, I also have a 2003 Chevy in my life, and it sucks somewhat on certain issues, but at least muy daughter drives it. Oh well, I'm through venting! LOL to all that have a 5R55E in their lives!

:(:angry::huh::unsure::blink:

Chris,

The problem plaguing Ford is the declining SUV market due to environmental issues and the increase in gas prices.

People have been complaining about the quality of American vehicles for decades. About 20 years ago, the US automakers started to make improvement in their quality and relaiblity and made great strides. For the most part their quality and reliablity is close or equal to most Japanese brands.

The real reliabilty issue is the fact that American dealers do not know how to treat the customer who has a service problem with the new vehicle. The don't insure that their techs are properly trained and have reasonable skills diagnosing and repairing mechanic and electrical problems.

Ultimately that fall back on the manufacturer to make a vehicle that does not plague their dealers with repeated problems. I don't think Honda would have used the 5R55E transmission in any of their vehicles unless it was proven to be reliable, and they would quickly fix any existing problems as they popped up.

In a few years Ford will have a whole new generation of buyer out there and the problems with the 5R55E transmission will have faded, partifularly if it comes in a newer, sleeker, and prettier package.

...Rich