How do I replace the cables to the tonneau cover locks?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
My lock closed to the cab seized up and I tried everything to lube it. I tesed the lock and the key enters the lock and turns fine but the cables do not move. So Im guessing its the cables. What is the cost and do I have to replace the lock too?

Big Al,

I just replaced the whole thing. Ford calls it a cable assembly. It includes the cables and the plastic cylinder that fits over the lock. You basically have to break the plastic cylinder apart to get it off of the lock. I drilled the plastic rivets off to do it. Oh yeah, I had to crawl into the bed, under the cover, and pull on the uncovered section of the cable (at each latch) to release the latches so I could get the cover up.

Then it's just a matter of threading cables and attaching the new cylinder to the lock. Take a look at the inside of the cylinder and the outside of the lock. There's a wide indent/detent, and a narrow indent/detent on opposite sides of the plastic cylinder and the lock - meaning there's only one way that they'll fit together.

Cost was about $40 at the Ford dealer here in Charleston, SC.

You can release the locks by hand (there is a lever inside each of the locks that can be manually tripped). It helps to not have large hands (I wear a size 14 ring so I'm SOL).

For as often as I remove the tonneau cover or open the cab section I do it this way. I'll get around to fixing it one of these days.

Right after I fix the passenger side fog lamp that has been broken since my wife went into labor with my daughter....

Did I mention she's 2-1/2?