How Do I Reset the CEL

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon Nadler

Reaction score
Does anybody know how to reset the Check Engine Light without knowing someone who has access to a diagnostic machine. I had the infamous cracked elbow piece and I replaced it today. I'm almost 100% sure that was the problem because I got the error message running lean on bank 1 and 2 and when the Trac was idling it kept trying to stall. Now with the replacement it seems to be doing better, although I had one instance with a lack of acceleration. Anyways... is there a way to reset it... I know there is on some cars.

If replacing the elbow solves the problem, the CEL will eventually clear itself. Some say that it takes 10 on/off cycles (cold start, warm up, turn off). On my recent DPFE sensor replacement it took 4 cycles to clear the CEL. Others have had luck with disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes then reconnecting it. That should clear the CEL but you will probably have to reset all your radio settings. I've also been told that your local auto parts store can reset the CEL using there OBD II machine (which should be free of charge). Any of these three suggestions should work or you can always take it to your local dealer and ask them to clear it . :D

Good Luck!

Jay

You could also go to the local AutoZone and ask to borrow their code reader. The reader also has the function to reset the codes. That is what I did the first time I had a CEL. Since then I have purchased the ScanGage which has both of those fusctions plus others.

I had the same code the other day and it was the cracked elbow. After fixing the problem I just disconnected the battery and pulled the PCM fuse and it reset the code. CEL is now off and it runs fine.

You can disconnect your negative battery cable for about 15 minutes....that will clear all CEL codes, as well as the computers "learned" settings, basically returning the software to "factory defaults".

It will re-learn adaptive settings as you drive.

cheers,

Some loose presets, some don't.

Probably depends on the batch of Flash chips used in the radio during your particular production run.

I work as an electrical engineer, we actually had an issue where a product was designed to not have memory retention when powered down. Prototypes were made with TI parts and worked perfectly. On the second production run the MFG engineer crossed over to a (cheaper) Samsung part, supposedly identical. The Samsung held data while off. Created all kinds of problems for us. Had to rework several hundred boards.

But the ECU in the truck is designed to reset upon power off, so lifting the negative battery cable will definitely reset the Engine Control Unit.

cheers,