How do they measure a vehicles tonnage?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Hale

Reaction score
I am trying to do some research, and am wondering how they determine a vehicles tonnage.

Like the F-250 is 3/4 ton I belive, stuff like that.

Thanks!

Actually, it used to be that way. Not anymore, it is just a name.

Compare a Honda Ridgeline, Ford F-150, and Toyota Tundra. All three is considered 1/2 ton trucks. Look at the numbers, there is a big difference between the three of them.

Tom

Our Tracs are "1/2 ton" trucks. Yet, we have a 1600 lb. payload capacity. That's more than 3/4 ton. Some here have put more than that it theirs and did OK. Go figure.

Derek,

You piqued my curiosity and I found this info (My apologies to The General haters).

For each series of Chevy and GMC pickups, General Motors builds a different degree of strength into the frame, springs, suspension, engine, brakes, tires and wheels - all the things that support, move and stop the weight the truck is carrying.

Note: Over time, trucks have become bigger and stronger. For example, a "half-ton" pickup truck by today's standards is really capable of carrying more than a ton. These weights are nominal ratings and are currently only used to describe the general strength of a pickup - not its weight-carrying capacity.