How hard is it to flip the axle?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Hon

Reaction score
I am wanting to lift my ST, but I would like to put the springs on top of the axle. I don't trust the shackle lift. How would I go about doing this? I would appreciate any help and would take pictures for step by step.

Thank you in advance.

It's not too, too difficult, depending on your skill level and the tools you have handy. You have to cut the spring perches off the bottom of the axle and weld it onto the top of the axle. I'm not sure about the leaf hangers, but I think those have to modified in some way as well.

that should be pretty easy I had a ranger and flipped it also. I think all you have to do is buy a kit from chassis tech and why is the shackle lift a bad thing? I have it on my truck and it rides very nice. but just remember when you flip your axle it will give you a lift of about 4 inches. and you will have to lift the front as high as you can to make it level. like a three in spindle lift and the torsion twist. and even that might not look right since it is on a rake from the factory hieghth. So best of luck with your project.

I did the shackle lift in the rear, torsion twist in the front, but it seems like it is not leveled out. How did you get yours leveled ryan, It looks nice. Also The driverside torsion screw is almost all the way with I think like one or two threads showing, but the passengerside as alot of threads. I had to do that to get 1.5 inch lift in the front. Mine is a 05 if they are different? What is the other lift you did in the front? Thank you both for the reply.

Just an FYI, I recently did the 3.5 inch front spindle lift, 3 inch body lift & TT for a total of around 8 inches of lift ( 10+ counting the increase in tire height ) Others have done this also on their 2wds. I tried the 2 inch add a leaf in the rear & the st still sat higher in the front so I removed the rear springs & had them re-arched & a full size leaf added. It made a really big difference. Cost around 180 for parts & labor. Just something to consider.

BTW if you're not going for a huge lift the Fabtech Add a leafs did (around 50 bucks) lift the rear to some degree like maybe 1.5" or so. Pro comp sells a set of add a leafs for under 40 bucks

Ryan,

What year was your Ranger? My father has a Ranger and it is already a spring over axle setup, unlike the Trac that is an axle over spring setup.

Tom

SOA will give you about 5-6" of lift on these trucks! You will need major height in the front to compensate for it, or your butt will be in the air. Check RCD for a nice coil over suspension kit - 5" suspension kit for up front ;)

Latest posts