how hard to remove dash??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony brizag

Reaction score
I know this is kinda silly question and probably no one has removed their dash but.... I am considering having my dash and door panels smoothed and painted. Was wondering if anyone knew how hard it would be to take the dash out/ what is envolved ?

LOL.... "probably no one has removed their dash..." You obviously haven't seen some of the things people do to their STs around here. :)

You obviously haven't seen some of the things people do to their STs around here.

Whats that mean????? i have bagged my sport trac on 20's myself, so i am capable of doin other things.......

There are a few members here who have smoothed and painted dashes, or a one-off dash altogether.

Taking the dash out isn't difficult, it's just a matter of removing all the bits to get to the bolts. The air vents, air bag, gauges, radio, glove box, beauty covers and just about everythign removable needs to be removed. There are also a lot of wires that either need to be unplugged, or removed. Should be pretty obvious how to do it once you get started.

I work for an auto supplier who makes sound insulation, including insulators that are placed on the sheetmetal dash (ie., firewall, though the automakers hate that word) behind the instrument panel. So removing the dash (or IP) is pretty common around here. As some of the guys have stated, it's not that hard, just can take a while to find all the little connections that you don't think about. Lots of wiring, lots of little screws and bolts holding the dash to the heater core, firewall, tunnel, center console, and attaching e-brake, steering column, etc.. I have never torn an Explorer dash out though, so I don't have any specific tips on it. I'm assuming that you just want the dash off, in which case you shouldn't have to worry about draining the HVAC system, disconnecting the brake, coolant lines, etc. The whole thing probably looks more intimidating than anything.

Yeah. Wait until you have to change out your heater core. The core in my wife's Expedition was replaced 3 times this past year. FYI - Ford's replacement cores are pure crap.

I figured theres just a million little bolts mostly and disconnecting wires. I'll let you know Tony. We start like Feb. 17th depending on free time.

Do you want to be able to replace it in one piece??....LOL :lol:

Todd Z

Latest posts