How long until the engine blows?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey lue, if you want to blow the engine, I know some ex-cons that will do it for cheap._ Ron Texas dept of criminal justice.

I got to 850 miles on my '07 ST before I took it in to the dealer. It had full oil but sounded like a diesel. I think I would have given it 2000 miles to blow.

I once had a co-worker give me a six year old Murray (Briggs powered) lawnmower. He told me he hadn't changed the oil since he owned it, and not to do it, because if I babied it, it would die.

Well, I couldn't accept that. After using it a couple of times, I decided to change the oil, sharpen the blade, change the plug, and clean the damn thing up. Sure enough, it went downhill shortly thereafter. He asked me months later how it was running, told him what happened, he said "I told you not to baby it, and you didn't listen." :wacko:

I ran a '74 Mustang II (4-cylinder) without oil for about 10 minutes after changing the oil and filter, refilling it, starting it up and going inside for another beer. When I came out I noticed the five quarts of nice clean Quaker State underneath it on the gravel driveway, and thought about the drain plug laying next to the tire. The experience didn't appear to hurt the car at all! It ran fine and didn't burn any (more) oil, and I drove it for another six months before trading it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends. Being low or out of oil is a lot worse than never changing it as long as it's kept topped off.

Back in the mid-80's I worked at an Olds/Cadillac dealer, a lady brought in a '82 Cutlass with a siezed engine that she bought from us new and never changed or even checked the oil. It lasted 24,000 miles before it gave up the ghost. Expensive lesson, we had to put a new engine in and it wasn't on warranty either.

According to a lot of people on this site, if you have a Sport Trac (or any other truck) with only a V6, that engine blows from the date of manufacture.

No idea for an ST, but a friend of mine (who grew up in a house full of women- no Dad around) got a VW bug for his first car at 16. He drove it for a couple of years and then it suddenly seized up one day as he was driving. When the tow truck driver showed up, he asked him if it was full of oil, but my friend had no idea what he was talking about. The driver pulled the oil pan bolt and nothing but dust came out.

My friend honestly never knew that: a) cars have oil in them. b) oil needs to be changed. He thought that gas was the only thing you ever needed to put into a car, and tires were the only thing that ever needed to be replaced.

The radio show "Car Talk" with Tom And Ray M. One of them has a Dodge Colt, bought it new and never changed the oil. Did add oil as needed. This has been about three or so years now and the Colt is still running in good shape.

For the benefit of us on this web site. Do the experiment, do not change your oil, but maintain the correct amount by adding when needed and let us know of any oil related problems. This will be of interest to all of us.

Well Dennis

The deed has been done. I have an 01 ST and convinced my uncle to buy an 05 last year. He is not to technically versed in vehicle maintenenance. Well I had him get the 75k extended warrantly for his ST. He would take it to his mechanic every 3 months and ask him "can I get a tune up". the mechanic told him. this is a brand new car so you dont need a "tune up" for 100k miles. What my uncle meant by tune up was change the plugs and change the oils and filters. What the mechanic meant by "tune up' was to change the plugs. this miscommunication had an interesting outcome. The oil was never changed. last week, when my uncle's ST reached 49,680 miles the engine blew. :eek:

So at 49k the V6 engine blew. my uncle did keep it topped off so it had the correct amount of oil but the oil had pretty much turned to mud when I checked the dipstick after having blown.

Now here is the incredible part. He had it towed to the local ford dealer. the service writer called my uncle the next day and told him you never changed the oil, this is abuse and your warranty will probably be voided but they were calling the ford rep from back east. the Ford rep flew in and checked the ST and saw the original factory oil filter still in place. He said that this was obviously a case of abuse but ford believed in supporting its customers and therefore would honor his warranty. the rep told the writer to go ahead and order a full new crate engine from the factory and install it. total cost for the engine was 50 bucks for the deductible. the only additional comment from the rep was that ford would do what it can for its customers within reason, but if this truck every showed up back in the dealership and theres was even a hint of abuse, no additional things would be covered.

I love Ford. This just reaffirms my belief that ford is the best car company out there. I have my 01 ST and my 04 eddie bauer explorer. and I am a ford man for life. Oh yeah. my uncle has owned chevys chryslers, hyundais, nissans and toyotas. this whole thing has made him a ford man for life

pretty cool story huh

FORD you are great:D:D

Sounds to me that you got a rare dealer, one who is actually concerned about customer care. A new engine should NOT have been given, ignorance such as this should not be accepted. It's a shame people spend a lot of money on something and then don't take responsibility for it, or bother to learn about it. Before anyone gets defensive, had this happened to anyone of my family, I would've called them stupid and said they got what they deserved, except for the new engine of course.

I'm curious, if your uncle had been driving, say, a Nissan, and this happened, would you be convinced that Nissan is the best?

A coworker who driver a Ford Ranger does not change oil but just add's oil when the light comes on in the dash !! He now has 140K on this 4 cylinder 5 spd. The Ranger had 18K on it when he bought it.

Hey Tiger

Before I answer your question, I have a question for you. Is everything OK. I hope everything is well with you.

I agree that my uncle was wrong by not learning more about the sport trac. He took it to his local mechanic religiously and asked to get the tune up. The ASE certified mechanic would answer religiously that he did not need a tune up. This miscommunication caused the failure that lead to the engine problem. Many newer cars have some fluids and other parts that do not require the continuance maintenance that older cars needed. Coolant at 100k was unheard of just a few years ago, but now it is very common. He asked a question to a trained and certified mechanic that answerd the question. In my uncles opinion, he tried to get it done but the miscommunication affected the outcome. I wont call my uncle stupid because I believe this was an honest mistake. will it happen again, NO. because now I have taken it upon myself to make sure he understands the process.

The interensting thing about the engine being replaced is that it was not authorized by the dealer but actually by a representative from FORD that flew in to Los Angeles to inspect and make a corporate decision. The dealer told my uncle that ford would most likely not honor the warranty repair but FORD came through, not the dealer.

On the last point, NISSAN, Hell NOOOOOO. I drive a 2001 ST that I bought new, my first new vehicle. My wife drives a 2004 explorer that we bought new. I believe in supporting an american company because ultimately most of the money (parts suppliers, builders, assemblers) stays here in the US. (notice I said most because I know many parts in fords are shipped from outside the country). My uncle actually did previously drive a nissan 4x4 pickup, (piece of junk that needed 3 engines replaced over 7 years, no coverage from nissan), A Datsun pickup(needed 4 engines replacements in 10 years). and a hyundai that needs to go back to the dealer every two months due to the cheap plastic parts falling apart (engine is great though). I love my fords. I have had very few problems with them and I feel that fords are just built better than comparable vehicles made by other manufacturers such as the imports or even GM or Chrysler.

I love my Fords and plan to be a ford man for the rest of my life as long as ford keeps doing what it is doing, build good strong vehicles and take good care of its customers.

Thanks and have a great day

Mike:)

And what do those think about using a good synthetic oil and using the best filters that are changed religiously every 3k miles and topping off (not changing the oil) the oil?

Last edited by a moderator: