how many off road lights

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Thompson

Reaction score
anyone have any idea how many off road lights or how many watts you can add to existing stock system. looking to add mabey 4 150 watt could or will the truck power them??

A quick search of the message boards reveals that our Tracs have a 130 amp alternator.

Your 150 watt lights pull 150/12=12.5 amps each, or 50 amps total. Figure an extra 10 percent for wiring and switch and relay losses for a total of 55 amps.

It should be ok as long as you don't expect to run 70 amp draw for the sound system at the same time!

If your intent on doing this, do it right. Either purchase or have your alternator rebuilt as a high output alternator. It will be a good investment for what you want to do and it will give you plenty of leeway.

<a href="http://www.mralternator.com/"target=top>Mr. Alternator</a>

Did someone say lights? :lol:

I have 2 PIAA 80 Pro XT's which draw 120 watts each. And 4 PIAA 540 Xtreme white's which draw 55 watts each and have an output of 85 watts each so a total wattage used is 460 plus headlights and fogs. I don't use them all the time but have never had a problem even with the stock battery. I still have the original alternator but recently upgraded to an Optima battery.

Are you talking about lights that draw 150 watts or that have an output of 150?

George

[Broken External Image]:

Latest posts