How much difference from 1080i vs. 720i in a flat screen?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Palmer

Reaction score
I realize there are many factors that will also make the TV good or bad, just curious about the visual difference of the two.

Basically, I can get a 2008 Model 37in 720i for $599.00.

Pretty good price for the size, that is why I am wondering about the difference???

Thanks in advance...

That price actually isnt great. My father got a 50" Samsung 720p for $799.00 just slightly before Christmas. His was a plasma though, not sure if your looking at an LCD as those are more expensive. (IMO plasma's are better however)

If you have HD cable ,sat,or xbox360 go with 1080i. There is a huge differce try to go wide screen to. You can go to tigerdirect and get them cheap. IF you are just usingnormal broadcast cable 720i is the best you can get.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I have read and been told the 1080i will only have a difference if you have a blue-ray player setup. But for basic HD service from Direct TV or other providers the 720p is all you need as the resolution is not 1080i.

That is incorrect, Blueray uses 1080P..and all the other ones too. I know comcast recievers put no more than 1080i out which is what i use. I belieaves that falls along with Direct TV recievers, I would call them to find out what there recievers put out before you make a decion. My recievers lets me know I am using 1080i too when i am browsing the HD channels. Remember.. we are talking HD channels not normal channels.

Yep that does make sense now Big D. Our new TV in our bedroom is only 720 because I dont have an HD receiver in there. We just got this TV and that is why it was fresh in my mind kinda. But my TV downstairs is a 1080 and is much more clearer as we have the HD setup.

Thanks for clarifying.

Anything smaller than 42" 1080 is useless. 42-48" is up to personal desire. Anything bigger than 48" 1080 is worthwhile.

I just got a 42" Philips 120Hz 1080p. I LOVE it even though I do not have ANY HD channels (except the (1) POS local station that splits it's time between ABC (most shows) but also broadcasts some CBS and NBC shows...

I will be using the TV as a second PC monitor since we watch about 60% of our TV online. The problem I have is three fold:

1) My PC has DVI out, my TV has HDMI in... need a converter (no biggie)

2) My PC is on one side of the room, the TV is on the other. I need to run a 50' HDMI cable up one wall, across the ceiling and down the other wall. Again, not a biggie, just need to do it.

3) My PC broadcast to the entire house via S-Video to an RF modulator. I cannot confirm that I can run VGA, DVI and S-Video all at the same time off the same NVidia graphics card. I don't care if the S-Video and the DVI show the same content.

There is little if any difference perceived when viewing a 780p vs 1080i HD picture on a 37" screen viewed at an appropriate difference (5 or more feet away).

You need to get larger screens to see a major difference.

The size of the screen needed depends largely on your seating distance. See the link below:

TJR

I have to agree what TJR is saying. I bought a 37" LG and the shop that sells them only sells televisions and they basically said the same thing and gave me a side by side demo. I bought mine for $999 back in october before the price wars. I say go for it! Yes I did pay more than what I should of but they throw in a warranty that is better than the manufactures and he was a good ole boy.

I have a Phillips 32" Widescreen LCD 1080i i bought back in 2006,and I have to say that there is a huge difference between 720p and 1080I that I can see, mabey the widescreen makes a difference..

BigEdition,

Are you saying that there is a "huge difference" viewing an HD signal on a 32" 1080i screen vs the same signal viewed on 720p screen with each viewed at the appropriate viewing distance?

(see various websites for recommended TV size vs viewing distances).

TJR

I asked our fellow members awhile back about making a purchase on line. The response was amazing. I thank all that responded. Here's what I did. I purchased a Toshibia 46xv545u from bydig.com for $1199.00 delivered to my door. It came from New Jersey to Washington State. Arrived as promised and not even a scratch on the box. I also shopped newegg and tigerdirect. Watch for sales as the prices change week to week. The price was $100.00 less than I could find local and included shipping with no tax. Sweet! I have scheduled direct tv to come out and hook me up with HD. (still a week away). I cannot say that I'll notice the difference in picture quality but am sure it will happen as now my picture is comming in at 480. I Recommend, get the highest you feel comfortable with for the price. You won't la:)ter wonder if you should have spent the bucks. I also checked Consumer reports and read a million (at least) reviews. I wish you well as its a big purchase. Again to all the members who help THANKS, YOU ROCK.

We have a 47inch vizio lcd i run high end audio & video equipment, h&k avr 247 7.1 channeles hdmi to dvd and direct tv .with 4 carver amps to back up the sound. close to 850 watts through 8 speakers. my tv is capable of 1080i at 60 hrz. and i can not find a difference in running it at 720p. just my opinion. a coworker was sold on the 120 hz issue and had his house broken into and tv stolen, told him about the 60 hrz thing works for me .he bought a 60 hrz at 720p and is more than happy with that!

720 (1024 x 768 pixels) vs 1080 (1920 x 1080 pixels)

250 HP vs 400 HP

Its not what you NEED thats important, its what you want. You want the 1080 because its better all around.

HD TV is broadcast in 720 and 1080 (the i and p don't really mean that much for normal TV viewing). The 1080 sets will not have to scale down the signal to 720, so there is "less work" for the TV to do.

Blu Ray players and most games can output 720p or 1080p, an upconverting DVD player can output 720p or 1080p.

No matter what you get, make sure that you have a good HD signal because HD TVs make SD TV look like crap.

To make this even more confusing, an LCD that says it is 720p is really 768p, but marketing didn't like that name.

DoctorCad said:
720 (1024 x 768 pixels) vs 1080 (1920 x 1080 pixels)

250 HP vs 400 HP

Its not what you NEED thats important, its what you want. You want the 1080 because its better all around.

I agree there is NEED versus WANT component. Get a 1080 if that is what you want and you can afford it. But as many have said, don't kid yourself that for smaller screens you are going to notice a big difference, or any difference for that matter.

There's something to be said for getting 720p instead of 1080p when getting a smaller screen: That lower resolution means less power consumption and more importantly reduced liklihood of stuck/dead pixels.

TJR

R SHek,

I've got an NVIDIA card and am using s-video and VGA at the same time, regular desktop on VGA/Monitor and extended desktop (montor 2) to my TV. This means when I open AVI files on my media player it goes to full screen(I've set it in media player to always open full screen) on my second monitor (my TV). This beeing said, we were using a similar set up on our games and outputing to VGA and DVI with two seperate feeds/videos. I would guess the option is there as long as you have the proper drivers and options set.

Denis

Latest posts