How much oil drained after removing just filter?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
I'm gonna change my maintenance routine a bit by changing the oil every 6K miles and just replacing the filter at every 3K interval. How much oil will drain after removing just the filter?

Thanks!

3k is a waste of $$, if you are buying qaulity filters. You can safely go 6k on a motorcraft fiter and motorcraft semi-syn oil. Change the filter at 5k and go 10k on synthetic oil.

The amount for toping it off would be 1/2 to 3/4 qt.

If you are worried get an oil analyses. Before you start wasting, $$..

I was wondering the same thing. How would you get the new filter on with oil spewing out? Or do you just take off the old filter and let whatever oil comes out just drain? Sounds like one heck of a mess. I'm used to changing the oil and filter out at the same time, but since switching over to royal purple, I'm also gonna have to change up my maintenance routine.

The only oil you will lose is whats in the filter.

I always pre fill my filters before I install them, as E says, about 1/2-3/4 Qt.

The filter is above the oil level in the pan, so you won't lose any more than what's in the filter. Roughly a half-quart or slightly more.

When I Pre fill my filter it takes exactly 1/2 qt....

IF you do it warm you may get the draining of the system running out...

Just change the filter when the motor is cold... Re fill the filter and install....

Should be good to go..... But obviously check the level..

Todd Z

Yes, from previous experience with changing oil and filter while the engine is warm resulted in some spillage when unscrewing the filter. Thanks for the tip on changing the filter while the engine is cold.

you will always get some spillage, put your drain pan under the filter.

get a phillips screwdriver and smack a hole in the bottom of the filter with a hammer.

let it drain, problem solved.

Just switch over to a good quality brand of synthetic oil like Mobil-1 and change the oil and filter every 10K-12K miles or one year, which ever comes first.

Your wasting a lot of your time fiddling with something that synthetic oils have already resolved. Since you change your oil yourself, Mobil-1 is rather inexpensice, and gets the job done very well.

My MB C300 came from the factory with Mobil-1 and I only have to change the oil every 13K miles or once a year, which ever comes first.

...Rich

Syn Oil 10K fine,contrary as said above, do not run a filter that long, 5K at the most.

Wix and K&N are coming out with extended mile filters, same media, but larger more surface area.

I change oil and filter at the same time at 5k miles if you use full synthetic oil or a syntetic blend, 3k miles for conventional oil. The reason being is because conventional oil does not protect as well as synthetic. Also if you have the money Mobil 1 synthetic is one of the best oils on the market (yes, it is pricey $6.99/qt) but i think it is worth it. It also depends on driving style. Check the dipstick, that's the best way to know when a oil change is needed.

Mobil1 is closer to the bottom of the barrel and some tests, conventional oil exceeded the protection of Mobil1.

A good filter and oil will last in excess of 20,000 miles. I change my oil and filter once a year. The Explorer gets about 20,000 miles on it per year and the Trac gets about 15,000 miles.

Both get oil changes in the spring. No Mobil1 for me.

Tom

I've used Mobil1 pretty much since mile one and my 4.0 has been running good. Just last year a mysterious rattle did develop (~2700 rpms) but it has been weeks since I've heard it last. Who knows what the culprit is? I also used Mobil1 on my old 95 Ranger and I put 100K miles on that bucket, no engine problems. I did change oil every 3K and used Puralator Pure One filters.

I have gotten my oil analyzed before and the results were very good, but I believe I used Royal Purple during that particular oil change interval. I will be sure to submit another sample with Mobil1 after "extended" use.

I had been using the pricy K&N filters but I was thinking of going back to Motorcraft filters if I decided to change only the filter every 3K and then oil and filter at 6K. But if I'm going to extend the filter change to 5K, it would probably be a good idea to stay with the K&N filters.

Caymen, I was amazed when I first read your statement of annual oil changes. But using this particular maintenance routine, I will be changing the oil every 10K which pretty much ends up being once a year.

Thanks for your replies folks!

Caymen,

I'm not sure where you got your info about Mobil-1, but I would doubt that the manufactures of luxury and performance automobiles would risk their reputation using Mobil-1 in ther new vehicles if there were even the slightest question that it would not last for the extended period of time.

Filter technology has come a long way in the past 10 years and the new generation of quality oil filters will stand up to the extended change intervals of synthetic oils.

As to what Bill Barber said... I agree that you should not push the limits of the oil, and that is why I recommended changing the oil every 10K-12k miles. Even though Mercedes Benz says 13K miles on my car, I changed it at 10K miles. It's just nice to know that if you get busy and don't have time to get the oil changed, that the oil has a nice safety margin....Also, 10K miles is a nice round number to remember when yoy changed the oil last time, and you don't have to start counting on your fingers and toes to figure out when you are due for your next oil change..:p:p

...Rich