How to clean the front ABS sensor on 4x2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal keiner

Reaction score
I suspect that the front left wheel ABS sensor needs to be cleaned on my 2002 4x2 Sport Trac. Long story, but already discussed in another thread. Anyways, my question is this:

Is it necessary to remove the rotor to clean the ABS sensor, or can one just remove the wheel and unbolt/remove the sensor for cleaning while the rotor remains in place? Alternativey, can the ABS sensor be cleaned in place without unbolting/removing the sensor if I remove the rotor instead? More simply put, what is the best way to clean an ABS sensor?

I ask because if I need to remove the rotor, I would want to have a new grease seal handy for reinstalling the rotor. Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it were me I would remove the sensor and wipe the end of it off and then take some brake clean and spray into the hole towards the tone ring while turning the rotor. If you do need to remove the rotor you don't need a new seal, just use the method that was described in the previous thread for removing the seal and you should be good, I do it all the time.

I did plan to use your suggested method for removing the grease seal, but I wanted to have a new seal on hand if things do not go well. I live in a somewhat remote location with only one vehicle and if I have the truck up on stands with the rotor off, I can not easily get to a auto parts store to buy a part if needed. I always have to plan ahead when it comes to disabling my only vehicle.

I do appreciate all the advice you and others have provided me on potentially solving my brake problem.

Last edited by a moderator: