How to mount GPS - Any ideas?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Rampino

Reaction score
I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 GPS on order. Already I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount it. The picture below is a full scale cardboard mock-up positioned where I would like to mount it. I don't want to use the windshield suction cup mount. The unit is just 1" thick & 5 ounces, and will fit nicely on the "shelf" above the vents. I want the unit to be easily removable. Any ideas on the best way to secure it? - velcro? double sided stickey tape? snot?

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Still gets great reception, doesn't distract you while driving and the best thing is the buttons are right at your finger tips.

Tim

I don't know about that position but I do know that Pro-fit makes a universal mounting bracket that hooks in on the right side of the climate controls and then you can purchase a model specific kit that attaches to the bracket and holds the GPS. I have one for my cell phone.

I don't have a picture, but mine is suctioned cupped to the winsheild below the rearview mirror. I use a Magelin Color. I had it mounted to the center console, but it is very hard to see it in the daytime. It seems to work well for me.

I have a similar set up like TimR. You might want to do a search on the forums. I know there were at one time a few GPS projects posted.

Compensating for something Ken? :lol: Seriously....nice rig.

I find that at night I still find it distracting, I don't know how you guys stand it up that high. Even in night mode it drives me nuts.

Rampo - What did you end up doing for mounting your Nuvi?

I recently bought a Nuvi and I'm looking into the options for mounting it in my ST. The suction cup mount works pretty well, but I would like something out of the line of sight for driving (those windshield mounts are technically illegal in California - though many people use them).

Has anyone attached a mount at the screw location under the stereo? Or, at that mini-vent to the right of the center console?

Also - for anyone interested in GPS systems -- I am very happy with the Nuvi. It has a great GPS receiver (it even gets a lock indoors for me), very complete map, responsive interface, text to speech (to speak names of any street you encounter). And, it's small enough to take with you when travelling. On a recent business trip, I popped it in the rental car & easily found my destinations in a city I knew nothing about.

tji,

I'm really happy with the Nuvi as well. Never has a problem acquiring satellites and it's simple to use. No need to read the instructions. :rolleyes: I mounted the unit on an ashtray insert that I pulled out of a fairly new, wrecked Toyota Sienna Minivan. The Toyota unit has a large flat top, and a nice rubber ring around the base for secure mounting in the cup holder. (The Ford unit won't work because the top is not flat). I used the nuvi adhesive backed mounting disk, and the suction cup mount. Fast simple solution. Swivel mount gives you plenty of adjustment, See pictures below.

Suction cup mount:

[Broken External Image]:

Nuvi mounted:

[Broken External Image]: