How to put a canoe on top?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need advice.

My son's Scoutmaster just called and they need me to transport an extra canoe this weekend. I've only got the stock rails on the roof, with no crossbars.

I've got the factory bed cover and bed extender, but I'd like to save the bed for my camping gear.

Any suggestions on how to secure the canoe on top? Do I need to break down and buy crossbars from the closest dealership?

Last edited by a moderator:
You could use some type of padding on the roof and secure the canoe from rail to rail and at each end.

You could do what Les said, but be advised that we did dent the roof of a ranger doing that once. I'm not sure how much more structurally sound the ST roof is in comparison...

If it were me, I would break down and get a set of crossbars, or maybe borrow from someone on the site. See if anyone near you has a set you can use. If you near Orlando, I'd consider letting you borrow mine.

use 2 2x4's across the factory rails and tie everything down to the factory rails or go buy a set of factory rails.

Go to a bike shop and get a set of rails. Maybe $100, less then fixing a dent in the roof. I think I paid $100 plus the cross bars for mine, so maybe $150. I found that the bike shops had the cheapest prices for them, almost half what the camping places wanted.

Get some foam pipe insulation and line the sides of the canoe with it where it will be in contact with the roof.

I was going to suggest 2x4's but bpoche beat me to it. I think that's the best solution unless you really want the cross bars. If you want them for future use then that would be best.

If you do buy cross bars, Id get Thule or Yakima not the factory ones, I have thule and they are great.

A cheap alternative is a set of foam blocks, shaped to fit the gunnels, they come with rope, but Id use straps instead, I dont know where your from, but walmart , gander mountain etc. will have them.

Todd

[Broken External Image]:

blocks

87bdf56c7854252d149d316dee935370.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
R, if your looking for a tie down spot with no tow hooks, Ive seen a lot of people bolt in a nylon loop under the hood.

What you do is take the farthest forward fender bolt out and bolt in a nylon strap and D-ring, it can stick out when you need it and be tucked away when you dont.

Ive never used it but alot of people with cars swear by it, I,ll see if I can find a pic.

Todd