How to Stop Sudden Unintended Acceleration

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
And now, this public service announcement...:banana:

How to Stop Sudden Unintended Acceleration

While Sudden Unintended Accelerationthe kind that triggered the Toyota recallis an extremely rare occurrence, it doesn't hurt to have effective countermeasures ready. Here's a quick primer on what do if your car takes off.

By Larry Webster

Published on: January 29, 2010

The scenario is terrifying: While cruising along, your car takes off like some mysterious invisible foot has floored the throttle. The odds that this will actually happen are infinitesimally small. We'd bet that the morning walk to your car has a greater likelihood of injury. But sudden unintended acceleration does happen. And if you're driving, you should know how to remedy the situation.

Step 1 /// Press the Brake Pedal, Hard

The first thing to doimmediatelyis press as hard as possible on the brake pedal. Do not pump the pedal, but simply keep steady, hard pressure. Use all the strength your leg can muster. The brakes will require significantly more force than normal because when the engine throttle is wide open, there's no engine vacuum to power the brake booster. The car won't slow as quickly as normal, either, but it will reduce speed. In every car, the brakes are more powerful than the engine, so eventually the brakes will win.

Step 2 /// Get Into Neutral

The next step is to shift the transmission into neutral. If the throttle is stuck wide open, the engine will rev alarmingly high. Do not worry about hurting the motor, there's an electronic rev limiter that will automatically keep the engine spinning high enough to kill it. With the engine power now disengaged from the drive wheels, the brakes will have a much easier job.

Step 3 /// Turn Off the Car

You're well under control now, but just to be safe, shut off the engine. Since some modern cars have push-button starters, like many Lexus models, you may have to hold the button for three seconds to cut the engine. And you should be aware that the brake-pedal pressure may increase when the motor stops running. As safely as possible, pull the car off the road and call a tow truck. There's no sense driving the car again until the mechanical problem is found and fixed.

Performing well in any panic situation comes down to being prepared. So find an empty parking lot and practice these techniques. To simulate a stuck throttle, you'll have to keep the throttle pinned with your right foot and use your left foot to work the brakes. After a few go-arounds, you'll get the idea.

I had a 77 Olds Cutlass Supreme that did this once when I was still a teenager. Luckily I was in town and hadn't built up much speed. All I did was hit the brakes and when I got it off the main drag (main street to you young'uns) I shut it off and figured out that the carb buttryfly arm (for lack of a better term) had gotten hung up on something. Did it once and only once.

My ford tempo did it once... i stomped on the gas at a light, and when i lifted my foot it was still floored... throttle pedal got stuck..

hard brake, neutral, off.

wd40 fixed it, but i went right to Napa to get a new cable

My truck did that to me getting off the high way. I went to pass another car and when I let off the gas peddle the truck didn't slow down:cry: I was like WTF is going on here....then I did EXACTLY what was posted above. Now if everyone who ever had this issue with the gas peddle sticking or what not followed the guidelines above there may just be less accidents and or deaths. People panic and that's what happens....they crash :smack:.

Had a 1971 Ford that did that. The only problem was it had a built 400hp 428CJ under the hood! Lifted the gas pedal with my foot and it calmed down. Pulled over, shut it off, and looked under the hood to find a broken return spring on the throttle linkage. Put two new springs back. Heavy pedal pressure, but didn't want that to happen again at just the wrong time!

All this talk of stuck accelerators reminds me of an incident I recounted in a thread several years ago. I've been reluctant to use my Cruise Control ever since.

Thats why I find it sooo hard to beleive that the State Trooper, that died along with a couple of his family members, couldn't get his Toyota stopped. I can't remember what state he lived in and I'm not trying to speek ill of the dead, but when I heard that I thought what the heck? He was a state trooper and he didn't know what to do to get the car stopped? Surely there had to be something else wrong other than a stuck accelerator pedal.

Maybe I just know too much about cars to worry about this.

I still think a lot of these cases are people pushing the gas instead of the brake like was found in the Audis a while ago.

So shift into neutral and shut the key off. Most newer cars won't rev past 3000 rpm when they're not in gear and you won't hurt anything by shifting to neutral. The key WILL NOT lock the steering column when it's not in Park.

Lastly, if the Federal govt would outlaw the automatic transmission, we wouldn't have this problem.

Latest posts