How to tell when the IAC needs to be replaced?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is supposed to be a cleaning procedure here on the site as a member project.

Just had my '05 back to the dealer for several small problems, rough idle and

stalling was one of them. The dealer said that on our tracs, is should be a kind of

maintenance, akin to replacing a belt or air filter. They had to replace mine under

the 3/36 warranty, as they said it was better to replace it under warranty than to try

to clean it at this stage, and have the same problem show up again under warranty

(Doesn't look good for Ford!). But the Service Manager, who was very helpful, (thank you

Sloan Ford, Columbia, TN.), said that a 15-20,000 mile interval should be acceptable.

Mine had 19,000 miles on it, and they determined that the rough idle/stalling was

caused by a "Sticking 'Pintle' in the I.A.C. Valve" Cleaning is acceptable, and can restore

idle to near-new conditions with the cleaning procedure. Mine has idled as smooth as

glass ever since!:D

From the projects section- "If your ST stalls, runs rough, idles funny, This might be the fix for you. Please make sure there is no Check engine light on, Or a more serious problem."

My Edit: After I replied to your post, I see you said "replaced".:huh:

I don't think it is recomended at a certain time interval. But I would only replace it after I tried doing the project.

Last edited by a moderator:
We've got over 112k on our ST, and have cleaned it several time as per Todd Z's project. I can understand why an IAC would be replaced under warrenty, so I'll just keep cleaning & re-lubricating it until I can't do that any more. Unless anyone has further input. Thanks :D

I had mine replaced about 4 months ago and I'm thinkin it's time for a cleaning.. It seems like its idling so low it's about to shut off. Is it possible to just have your idle set too low?