How'd they do this (rollpan)?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they probably modified another rollpan, and molded it, shaved the door handles, trimmed the tie-down area plastic,etc. i asked about this one once or twice before lol i like the look and might do something similar.

Another roll pan MAY work, but finding one with the proper shape and curves may not be easy, and probably pricy.

You can make a foam form, shape it the way you want, then lay fiberglass over it to get the desired shape, then you'll mold it in as you normally would with a plastic bed.

Structure wise, you could make some simple brackets that would bolt to the fram, and if it's a metal roll pan base, weld the brackets on, or fiberglass them in if it's an all FBG pan.

Even though this site hasn't been updated in over a year, it shows the process of making a foam form then fiberglassing over it to make a roll pan for an Explorer Sport...<a href="http://stlouismtb.tripod.com/rollpan/rollpanpics.html" target="top">linky winky</a> EDIT, on this site it looks like they made a foam shape, then made a mold from the foam out of fiberglass, then used more fiberglass to make the actual roll pan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. I know Joe Deguzman has a similar rollpan, and I thought he said he used a Ranger rollpan first, then molded it in. But I don't know that much about body work, and I'd like to do that.

-Edit- Oh yeah, Black Magic's Sport. I wonder what happened to him?

You could use another roll pan as a base, an F150 one might match the curve of the tailgate better, being an F150 tailgate and all. You'd still have to attach and mold it in somehow, body filler, fiberglass, panel bonding, something...

Well, the bumper wraps around the sides anyhow, you could modify those ant use it as a form to make mold to then make a complete roll pan, but with exposed edges (the leading edge) you'd have to get creative to make it look good.

Yet another reason why new cars suck...plastic body panels. If the bed were metal you'd just shape some metal up and weld it on...doesn't quite work that way with plastic panels.

Yep... :angry: Damn plastic bed...

Oh well. I might try it next summer, and I'll either have a nice rollpan, or I'll be checking eBay for a new bumper and quarterpanels. :lol:

I don't think that it'd be too terribly difficult to do (although that might be relative), just time consuming. I'd go about it similarly to the link I posted, get a big block of foam, sand and shape it, make a mold, then use it to make my final fiberglass shape. I'd fiberglass some metal mounts on the backside, bolt it on, then smooth it in with some FBG tape and smooth it all out with some plastic body filler.

What about using something like this Holey Rollie pan for a 2001 Ranger as a starting point (should bolt right up to the frame) then use body filler to mold in and shape around the sides?

[Broken External Image]:

Roll pans like that don't bolt onto the frame of the vehicle, typically. That top flange is what you use to bolt the pan to bed. That doesn't mean it wouldn't work with the ST, but it's a potential issue.

That roll pan I think is urethene, which would require some more specialzed methods and products that will stick to the part and not flake off.

A regular fiberglass roll pan would be better.

Tiger, what about using Arend's rollpan (linked below) filling it in on the inside with fiberglass resin, then sanding the outside to conform to the shape of the body lines, then installing a new license plate box? :wacko:

Use fiberglass roll pan and mold into bed ..Working with these beds is a pain in the @$$ though...Goodluck..I had seen a few rollpans but I like the way the bumper looks laid out.[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I've said it before, I'll say it again. That's an awesome Trac, 23ballistic! A work of art.

Larry-

I think you'd be better off finding an FBG pan with the right shape to begin with. You'd have to do a LOT of sanding to get Arend's the shape of the first one...and FBG isn't the easiest stuff to sand on.

Latest posts