Hunters and Riflemen...Need some input

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keola P

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a bolt action rifle and I've narrowed it down to 3 choices based on recommendations from friends and local gunshops:

1. Winchester model 70 - I've used this rifle in the past and is most likely the one I'm going to get due to performance and competitive price point.

2. Remington model 700

3. Browining A bolt

Does anyone have experience using any of these rifles that you would like to share? Any recommendations?

I'll be hunting mostly axis deer and wild boar. Any input would be greatly appreciated...

I hunt with a .308 Remington model 700. 7 shots, 7 kills so far. I hope I didn't just jinx myself. LOL.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred, I have experience with all 3 rifles in a few different calibers, and I would go with the Winchester, I took my last deer from 282 yards with my dads, chambered in 300wsm. By the way, it's weird how in your pictures your garage looks identical to mine, 2002 sport trac with a deer, and a BMW z3... My dad has a 1998 z3 with the 2.8 and 5 speed manual, only 30,000 miles... Good luck with your rifle!

Fred, I have experience with all 3 rifles in a few different calibers, and I would go with the Winchester, I took my last deer from 282 yards with my dads, chambered in 300wsm. By the way, it's weird how in your pictures your garage looks identical to mine, 2002 sport trac with a deer, and a BMW z3... My dad has a 1998 z3 with the 2.8 and 5 speed manual, only 30,000 miles... Good luck with your rifle!

Venison and Z3's are cool! :D

My Z3 is a '98 2.8 Auto. Just put a new top on it myself.

Model 70 is the way to go in my opinion, I have a pre-1973 (has been ranked the number 1 gun of all time by field and strream many of years) in a .243. Gun flat out rocks, shoots sweet and smooth. It is a featherlight, light and nimble to carry but the kick is a bit more than comparableguns with more wieght. This has never bothered me and I feel the trade off it worth it, I plink ground hogs at 300 yards no problem.

Hope this helps.

CHRIS

Remington Model 700 .270 cal here. Have had it for 15 years and can drive tacks with it at any range. Best Rifle I've ever had. Many, many, many deer killed with it.;)

I have all of them. They are all good shooters.....but, the Remington 700 with a synthetic stock is pillar bedded and will shoot more accurately. I have these in 300 Win Mag, 22-250,

6mm, 243, 270, and 223. They are all excellent at the range.

Thanks for all the input Guys...

As of now, I have my eyes set on a .30-06 Winchester Model 70 Sporter. Achieving iconic status and revered as "the rifleman's rifle", it meets my requirements in all areas and it's performance seems promising...I can't wait!!!

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Great choice! Great caliber!

I have a Savage I really like 10FP in .308, and another in 338-06. Can't beat the price of the savage, and they shoot as well as anything, and better than most.

Latest posts