I bought an '07 tonight

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pat Freeman

Reaction score
I just got back from the dealer. I traded in my 02 for an 07. I wanted the red limited with camel two-tone interior and they could only find one as close as Michigan. So, they drove it from there to MD and I was happy so away we go! I love it EXCEPT for the heated windshield. It's probably GREAT in the winter, but I noticed that while driving into direct sunlight, the sun caught the tiny little wires were were zig zagging from the top to the bottom of the windsheild causing a bit of a rainbow effect. If you like a VERY clean window, I'd avoid this option. We'll see how long I can put up with it before it bothers me. I like my glass completely clear so something like this was fine during my test drives but really showed up with the sun. We'll see if I get any starbursts from it with oncoming cars at night.

Other than that, I love the 07. As I said in my test drive write-up, it's really a huge improvement over the old one. Ride and handling is superb. The V8 is great. I don't see anything I'd improve on it so far.

I have the AM/FM/CDx6 MP3 radio. I also have the steering wheel controls and that is really nice. I was very impressed with the audio quality and the bass is really good in my opinion. Not audiophile quality but much more punch than the old ST as stock. I found an auxilliary input for the radio, so I'm going to try to incorporate my IPOD and XM within the next 2 weeks and try to get one of those free T-shirts from Rich.

Honestly, there was nothing wrong with my 02, but I really wanted to get rid of it because of memories. My wife walked out on me 2 months ago to find herself and try to be happy. I bent over backwards for her and didn't do anything for myself for the past year and have been very depressed to say the least. Maybe this will get things off my mind and give me a chance to enjoy life a little more.

My new 07 and my old 02. Sorry for the poor quality pic.

752f8936db9e0f4695e5a8c6c3f4c43d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your purchase man, enjoy it :)

Its the limited right? I heard those have navigation, but didnt notice it when i saw one in person.

I do have the limited. I'm so glad we didn't have to endure with years of plastic cladding before Ford decided to issue a fully painted, top to bottom, revision.

I heard that the navigation system isn't an option until summer, along with the rear window. You cannot get navigation as an option, if you get the heated windshield, although I don't know why. Possibly interference?

I do have the limited. I'm so glad we didn't have to endure with years of plastic cladding before Ford decided to issue a fully painted, top to bottom, revision.

I heard that the navigation system isn't an option until summer, along with the rear window. You cannot get navigation as an option, if you get the heated windshield, although I don't know why. Possibly interference?

Really? I thought Ltd. had nav. standard.

Zidion, I doubt anything will really be standard anymore. They know we want the options, so they will make us pay for them. Nice huh.

Pat, congrats on the new vehicle and it looks great. Hope it helps and keep your head up. You are to be commended for trying to help the situation and sometimes all that does is make it hurt worse. Take care and enjoy the new vehicle and let your mind roam. (Just not to much when you drive!:lol:) ;)

Zidion, I doubt anything will really be standard anymore. They know we want the options, so they will make us pay for them. Nice huh.

Its good and bad I guess. Allows for more customization and getting what you what, instead of paying for stuff you dont.

Congrats! I bought my '01 because of similar reasons, to a lesser extent. Sometimes when you're down and especially since the old one had memories, it's best just to buy what you want! You'll look back years from now with happiness that you did it.

Great Pic!

I've had mine for 5 whole days and I still love it. I agree about the heated windshield, it will take some getting used to. By the way, I have the limited and there is no nav. system.

Pat, congratulations. I hope you have many happy years in the new ST. Looking forward to sending you a T-shirt.

Question: What size are the speakers?

Congratulations Pat! ;) I know you love that 07, and let your feelings roam as far as that 07 will take you. Time will take care of the memories and one day YOU WILL get over the aches. Hey, I drove an 07 for a few miles yesterday, it was a limited that had everything I wanted except the T cover. IT WAS SWEET! The internet sales rep at the dealership had me sit inside while he went over all the controls and knobs and buttons, we gave it a million point inspection of everything that it could do. I was very impressed with his knowledge of the ST's great features, which are many and very varied. The message center is awesome, much like a luxury car with all the information that it delivers, I would definitely recommend this option. I did a comparison of the options from my 01(with all ops xcept moonroof) and the total was $5140 or so, in comparison an 07 with all the ops I want, the ops total comes to about $4300 which includes things I didn't get with the 01, like: moonroof, V8, steering wheel controls, 18" wheels, solid color molding, safety canopy, and a few things I've forgotten from being "07ized." I think FORD got this one right. It is a huge improvement above and beyond the first gen ST's. I can hardly wait to get my 07, probably in Feb or March of 07. Long wait, yes it is, but by then the PDBL will be here, and a few bugs will be ironed out. I predict it as a huge hit for FORD, the Explorer line especially. TOO BAD THEY (FORD) ARE SO PROUD OF THE F-150 :eek:, maybe they are so scared that this "little SUT" will blow sales of the ever popular moneymaking F-150 :eek: that they are scared to advertise it nationally for fear it will exceed their expectations. There ain't nothing out there like this one, hands down! Whew! I got to running my mouth and looked at this post and decided to JUST SHUT UP, ALREADY!

GO 2ND GEN ST'S!!:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::cool:

Pat, BTW, I was also going to mention that your pic does show that the 07 sits a slight lower than the 1st gen ST's, at least it loooks that way. What a job the design team at Ford did with the changes! Okay, okay, I'm out of here!!!

Thanks, all.

First, I don't know what the size of the spearkers are, yet. I'm assuming the same as the old ST and new Explorers. I will tear the door off eventually. I took my aftermarket Infinities out of the old ST hoping they would fit in this one.

The new one sits higher, but an inch or two. The vehicles in the background, plus the fact that the old ST is not as wide, give the optical illusion that it sits taller. It doesn't. The 07 certainly is longer and taller.

OK, the windshield is really starting to bug me. Went for a ride to a restaurant last night and all the cars coming the other way had zig zag rainbows around the headlights. I do not like that at all. The other thing, I didn't notice this but sitting in the drive-thru, I could hear a mild knock knock knock in the engine! Got home and heard it but it's not loud unless you are next to a wall or another car. Revving the engine up makes it go away. Maybe an oil change will help this? Maybe go from 5w20 to 5w30? Any thoughts? I hate to have this go back to the shop so soon.

Thanks for all the kind words about the separation. I hate it, I really do. Another 10 months here in MD before they would permit a divorce and she won't come around no matter what I say or do. :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh, the knock, knock. Sounds just like the prob the are having on the new style F150 V-8. I had that, it would be a deep knock and you could really hear it if you knealt down by the wheel-wells in the front. After being told that it was 'normal' twice (they said it was the lifter springs) I went back and asked why there were only lifter springs on the passeneger side of my truck, because that was the only side the knock came from. The service advisor went away to talk to the service manager and came back about 5 minutes later and said they would replace my cam-phaser. That fixed the problem. Like I said, very common prob on the F150.

Thanks for the post on the knock, Olaf. I've included a small video clip with the sound. It's definately on the passenger side from what I could tell.