I broke my truck

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Stiteler

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Dec 14 I got into some black ice at about 35/40 mph, once turned about 150degrees, contacted a NewEngland stone retaining wall. Ripped the left side of the bumper off, and some damage to left fende. Impact snaped the left side of the truck into the wall and punched a big hole in the bed around the fuel filler line and basket ball size dent into cab where the rear door and body meet. Tried to roll up over the wall, so got some dirt and grass in the tiedowns, then came down hard on right front, breaking RF tire from rim and pushing the running board up under the truck. Initial estimate 8,000 and it is being fixed. Then on frame rack, now estimate is 11,000 and everyone is telling me my decision to have it fixed was wrong and should try and get insurance to total and look for something else.

How say you??

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well IT took a good hit and your OK, thats the best thing.....

With out knowing more info, you have to see what the value of the truck is and what it is selling by you for. IF the insurance company is fixing it, then it is worth over 14,000.00 bucks. Most insurance companies will not fix a car if the repair is over 70-80% of the trucks value....

If the body shop is good, you will never know it was wrecked...

Todd Z

I would've tryed to get the Ins. co. to total it just because of the Cab damage but I bought mine used and I am not super attached to it (I do love it). If you had it since new, took care of it and it's payed off it might be worth fixing. Just My HO.

Sorry it happened to you, good luck.

Ed

Body shop is Gappone Colision Center in Bow NH, about 40 miles from here. My son is mechanic at Gateway Motors in White River Junction Vt, and his body shop people say Grappone does good work. Mechanic is working with me as the $11.000 is right on the edge for the insurance co. Some cosmetic scratches on the bed side rails are not going to be fixed as that would put it over into being totaled.

5th Aniversary present from wife, only second new vehicle in more than 40 years. She is my Baby!!

Want her back!!

Wife thinks should get a new 07.

that was one mean wall, next time hit a Mustang, I ran red light hit a Mustang and didn't hardly do any damage to trac....no one was hurt and Mustang looked fine after some body work. definatly fix it if it's your baby-I would

susan

It seems to me with the exception of the cab, most of the damage will be fixed through replacement parts, with the exception of the cab ding around the door frame, that will have to be finnesed.

Did you say the frame was bent? If so, how much?

The color should be easy to match...you should never know it was damaged if done right, and from what I see, there is no reason it shouldn't be done right...it's not that challenging of a fix.

TJR

Ouch. I can assume you had a little whiplash. Black ice is mean stuff. It just will creep up on your and you are screwed.

Back in Rochester, NY - did two 360s on it one time. Started one way and then spun back the other way - touching a guardrail on the offramp. Black ice was right where the off ramp started and right where I had downshifted from 5 to 4, it seemed like when things re-engaged the fun started.

Normal vehicle would have probably rolled but I was in the vehicle that I believe was built lowest to the ground ever...the Geo Storm GSi.

JT#14

They said it would be at least a couple of weeks for fix. Now I have to figure out which tires to buy, or let them put on just 1 new WRANGLER RT/S. Mixing with tires that have 36000miles on them could be trouble in 4 wheel. Thinking about Goodyear Fortera TripleTred 255/70/16 for here in Seacoast New Hampshire. Am told I would have to go with 4. Suggestions?

Talked to Grappone Collision today, and my Baby may be ready for pickup on Tue. Delivered the four new Goodyear Fortera TripleTred tires to them this afternoon.