I finally swapped the drums for disks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Watts

Reaction score
Well, I finally made the time to swap out my rear drums for disks. What a difference! :wub:

A big thanks to Cayman for his project. It made me realize/remember just how easy it would be to do this.

I didn't follow the project exactly, but it was pretty close. Instead of ordering all new parts and building a new brake line, I cheated and pulled everything off of a 1995 Explorer (for a whopping $140). Everything was in good shape, but I had a finish cut done on the rotors anyway just to be sure they were true. It was a direct bolt-on/swap-out. :D :cool: Everything fit perfectly except the driver's side E-brake cable was a few inches too long, so I may end up buying new E-brake cables. The new ceramic pads, differential gasket and oil, RTV, synthetic brake fluid, and caliper slide pins and sleeves were under another $100.

If you've contemplated doing this project, just go ahead and do it. For under $250, it's well worth it and gives you something to do on a Saturday.

When I did my project, there were no "you pull it" yards in my area. Any of the yards in my area always want too much money for anything.

Getting them to pull a "cheapie" item is next to impossible.

A brake line on an axle gets sold with the axle.

I hate them. That is why I got new parts.

Glad you did the conversion.

Tom

I guess I'm pretty lucky here. I have about 5-6 yards within about 20 miles that will really work with you. Some they pull it and some you pull it. My backup from another yard was a full axle assembly from a 2001 Explorer Sport w/disks for $200. I figured I would pull off what I needed and give them back what I didn't.

In the end, I'm ecstatic about the improvement. :banana:

I thought you have to use special seals for synthetic brake fluid?

Good project and safer also..:cool:

I've not heard that before, but what I used was the high performance DOT 4 brake fluid from AMSoil (they're recommendation). I'm assuming it's a synthetic too. I didn't see their product page say anything about having to change seals, so I didn't. :(