I have the wrong bolt in the front tonneau mount, insert spins, how to I access the back?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Hampton

Reaction score
I figured I was supposed to take off the rail, but now I think I'm supposed to remove the wheel well, is this correct? :banghead:

If so, it looks like 4 screws on the fenderwell lip, then some tiny hex head (6) that hold it to the inside of the bed, then some plastic push pins. :sad:

It's the middle bolt???? Can you back the bolt out or does it still spin the insert? That happened to me even with the correct bolt. I was able to grasp enough of the insert to back the bolt out, luckily. I then ran a tap through it, applied anti-seize and the bolt went in without further problems. It'll be a PITA to get to the back of the bracket. Here is the bracket.

fd05199259a8a1ca3ddf1970323bec14.jpg

Here's the bedside removed to give you an idea of where you'll be trying to reach.

7db1c5598457884c3e3244019f1a55a4.jpg

I found if you stick a flat head screwdriver between the bracket and the bed you can wedge the insert and stop it from spinning.....

I also have hit it with a hammer and put a flat spot in it and it was easier to hold......

Once loose a pair of needle nose held it the rest of the way...

Todd Z

yeah, it's the rivnut on the front right side. If the pics you posted are all right side, then the 1st shot would be the rear next to the tailgate? It's that silver thing in the middle, but at the front of the bed.

I figure if I can get some vise-grips on the back side, I'm gold.

The bracket is already off, as is the head of the bolt, I have about 3/4"-1" of bolt still sticking out, enough to grab onto, but too short to put a nut on and just go with it. :(

I tried the screwdriver between the bracket deal, the rivnut still spun, wait, you mean the bracket shown in Steve's pic and the bed?

I don't want to replace the rivnut, I'm thinking of putting a stud in there when I get this one out, then I can either run my shell or my soft tonneau.

Got it!! :banana:

But it's a pain to go thru all of that, tried the screwdriver, but ended up with the vise grips. A quarter turn and I was able to back it out with my fingers. Rethreading it was a little tight, but the rivnut didn't spin.

Got my trailer plug ends wired on my camper shell and the truck bed, so now when I put the shell back on, it's plug & play. :supercool:

I'm kicking around the idea of building a sheet metal 'saddle bag' to mount on the right bed side using the tie down bracket and the rear tonneau mount. Just a place to store tie-downs, rope, bungees, etc. Actually, a ammo box would work great for this with a few tabs welded on in the right places.

Latest posts