I need new front shocks

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamie frenzel

Reaction score
I need new shocks and I dont know which to get. I have a 2001 st 2wd stock ride hight. Let me know your opinion. I would like for it to "ride like a caddy"

I dont want to pay a ton for shocks that will do the same as the cheap $16 replacments at the zone. Will a more exspencive shock make it ride smoother?

I agree with Paul. Look into the Monroe SensaTrac, Rancho RS5000, or Tokico Trekmaster. Any of those will give you a nice comfortable ride, and still maintain safety of a higher center of gravity vehicle at a reasonable price. Also, strongly suggest replacing your front end links, from AutoZone, for around $25.

I just replaced my stock shocks with Monroe Reflexes and they have almost a "European" feel to them. The Monroe SensaTracs, like Paul said, should give you ride that is not as firm as the Monroe Reflexes or RAncho RSXs.

You will not get a good shock @ $16 for the Trac. You will wear them out in 1 year. They will be as sloppy as the factory shocks. Its a Truck not a cadilac.

Monroe sensatracs will tough enough for suspension control and not too harsh.

After reading necessary OEM ST upgrades and replacement "aftermarket" parts in order of priority, I took the advice of almost all ST "gurus" and replaced the shocks first. As with anything, timing is everything. Sears had a "one day sale" on 4/4/09. Monroe "Sensa Trac". "Reflex" and "Rancho" at 50% off MSRP. Bought the "Sensa Trac" (37177 & 37035) for $120.96 with an additional $20 mail in rebate from the Monroe "Stimulus Plan" program thru 5/31. The best "Franklin" I have spent on this wonderful '05 XLS to date. The main improvement is driving over uneven asphalt at moderate speed. Much more stability and control. The other is much flatter cornering with greatly reduced lean at all speeds. I must say the OEM shocks are a "softer" ride, possibly due to wear after 46K. As I said, the best 100 bucks I could have spent. (Anyone know where I can get a "chain link" steering wheel or "velvet dice" for my rear view mirror?) LOL ;)

P.S.- Should the "Cold Air Intake" be next? Opinions greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Attn: jmicsoop - U mean the "chain link" steering wheel OR the "velvet dice" UPGRADES? BTW- I refuse to order from J.C.W. They wouldn't let me return the gold plated link wheel after using it for only 3 years. The paint was only worn off where I placed my hands! BBB wouldn't listen to me either. :lol:

Latest posts