I recieved a damaged package from UPS, now what?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan Pauling

Reaction score
Like the message says.

The box is all beat up and the stuff inside is damaged beyond repair. I bought the item from an online business. I called them and I was told (in a nice way) that I need to claim it through UPS.

Does anyone know how I get this resolved?

Thanks...

Bryan

Actually,

The person receiving the merchandise is the one that HAS to start the claim, Trust me, I had 4 in a row about 2 months ago...

Simply call UPS and tell them you have to file a claim... they will ask for tracking number, shipper, info on the parts, HOW it was packaged, Condition of the box ECT...

They may or may not send an inspector to you house to see the damage, It can take 2 weeks before the SHIPPER gets a credit and then they are to refund you, or send you new stuff..

Todd Z

That's weird. I've only ever had one claim, and UPS told me to have the shipper file it. Incidentally, it's been 3 months, and I still haven't gotten my refund.

+1 to what todd said !

Take care,

Mr. Torrie R. McPhail - (Owner)

http://www.FastPartsNetwork.com

http://www.UnleashedTuning.com

Ford/GM/Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep SCT Custom Calibrator

+2 on Todd Z. I had electronics that was over 500 damaged and an inspector did come out and view the damage. Make sure you document everything.

Yeah, the receiver initiates the claim.

+2 to the Todd Z side....I'm ranking myself in as 2 pts on past experience :D

heh... We're all right.

But the shipper gets all the info and the money.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, what happens if the claim is that the package was not received? Perhaps the item was stolen after being left unattended. If there is no signature for receipt, who's to say?

Might eliminate the vendor from the claims process and speed-up things a bit.

Just a thought.

If there is no signature for receipt, then there was no delivery confirmation, which means that the shipping company isn't liable for any loos, because there is no guarantee that the person claiming lack of receipt is honest.

UPS logs delivery though, so if the box was dropped off, and you didn't pick it up before some loser ran with it, the fault is yours instead of theirs.

I used to work in the computer department for UPS here in PA. and Todd is correct.

Just like Todd explained. They will ask you alot of questions that will seem unimportant to you, but it all to verify the condition of the box, and how the items were shipped. Whether there was enough packing and so on. Just remember that any standard ground package is automatically insured for only $100. If whatever you are ordering is worth any more than that, be sure to request extra insurance. If the company doesn't offer it, be suspicious.

Thanks for all of the input.

I filed the claim with UPS yesterday. They told me that an inspector will stop at my hous to inspect and pick-up the damaged package. It will then be sent back to the shipper. The shipper did not request additional insurance or list the value so he will get $100.00 even though the item lists for $600.00 and sells for $510.00

UPS told me that I need to contact the shipper to discuss shipping out anoter item or crediting me.

Thanks again...

Bryan

I got a damaged package right before christmas and the shipper took care of everything. All I had to do was set it out on the porch the next day for UPS to pick up.

Todd- 12

Dingo-1

Latest posts