I TEST DROVE 2007 TRAC

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Hunter

Reaction score
I went in with a open mind, and drove the 2007 trac. I am a former 02 Trac owner, then went to a 04 F-150. The 07 was better than the 02, but once you have gone up, it is hard to go back. It is like the first leather seats you got - cloth is out of the question. I know the two are from different groups. I ended up getting a 06 loaded Lincoln Mark LT, I think I have died and gone to truck heaven. Just my opinion!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now why did you have to get all nasty "Q", all I am saying is that in my opinion, the 07 is better than the 02 - but not enough for ME to go back. And for your info, I paid 34K for a 45K truck that rides, and is rated one of the best on the road. But opinions are like &^%holes, we all have one. Have a nice day "Q".:D

"Lincoln is just a Ford" No! I drove a 04 F-150 Lariat for two and half years, and the Lincoln is a much better ride, and feel. There is a diffrents!!!

It's ok THunter, keep telling yourself that. Is the insurance on that Lincoln the same as a Ford?

Look at specs for MT and Supercrew. Identical!!! Same design and and with exception of cosmetic items, same parts throughout. Now maybe the Lincoln has softer shocks to fool buyers into thinking they are getting a better ride. That I do not know, but given the fact that they did that with the Trac, it wouldn't suprise me. Here's another thing to consider too. You can take a group of people and put them in a Lincoln and then a Ford that have identical chassis and suspensions. The majority will insist that the Lincoln had a better ride while instrumentation would indicate no difference. For many years the Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis and Mark IV had indentical chassis and suspensions and would not be distinguishable based on recorded data. Yet, perception was always that Grand Marquis was better than Crown Vic and that Mark IV was better than Grand Marquis.

Ford/Lincoln/Mercury and Mazda cross makes do tweak shocks, etc to get a different ride/feel

The Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner/Mazda Tribute is for the most part the same vehicle with cosmetic styling changes, both exterior and interior.

The Mazda has the stiffest shocks (and is generally rated the "best" of the 3 off raod because of it).

The Ford Escape is in the middle

The Mercury Mariner has the softest shocks, and hence rides the smoothest on road

Is there really that much "difference" between the 3 in ride? Probably not, and some may not be able to tell any difference, while others will.

When you go from Ford to Mercury to Lincoln, no doubt that at least some of the perceived difference is simply brand perception over true differences.

Thanks for the congrats, and all the other feed back to. That is what a forum is for. And to answer your question Darin about insurance - Ford was 392.00 a year, Lincoln is 425.00 a year.

TH,

Congrats on the new ride. Nothing beats the new car smell or finish.

Is your insurance for everything - I mean, every optioned coverage? That's amazing!

THunter,

Congrats on the new ride. You only go 'round once, so enjoy! (can we see some pictures?)

:)

Rampo

Unless you live out in the sticks somewhere, that sure sounds really low. I pay more than $400 every 6 months for a 3.5 year old Toyota Matrix.

If they come out with a Sport Trac that gets 30 mpg then I'll trade mine in. Until then I'll hang on to my 02. I certainly don't need anything bigger and that gets worse gas mileage then I'm getting. I'm sure the Lincoln is a much more comfortable ride though.

Amen to what TomT says. I kind of want a new vehicle, but I am not going to buy something that doesn't get better gas mileage than what I have. My Trac has its problems, but its resale value is in the shitter, and I don't see anything else out there that has much advantage for spending a whole lot more money.

As for Insurance 1.) USAA 2.) Full Coverage - $1000.00 deductable 3.) I am forty something 4.) I have all my insurance (cars & home) with USAA + the only credit card I own (7.59 apr.). I only pay 452.00 every six months for the 06 Lincoln and my Wife's 06 E.B. Expedition. If you can get it, it is a great company. When Progressive or Gieco call all I have to say is "USAA", and they say "have a great night, click", I love it.