I want this but...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Easley

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I've been looking to getting a roof rack for my trac, but the thing is I want to be able to be able to fully remove the basket and aux. lights when I'm not using it. The reason is for better gas mileage for daily driving around campus. My thing is though, is there anyway I can wire in like male/female adapter for the wire that connect to the light so I can essentially plug and unplug the lights when I wanna take the basket off?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

J.B.

http://www.everythingsuv.com/surco_s...racks-esuv.asp

The link doesn't work, but as far as a plug for the lights, I'd use a 4 pin trailer connector.. they are easy to come by and are fairly weatherproof.

Be careful with your spending, some people buy a new vehicle for better gas mileage, and how long does it take to pay that off. :btddhorse:

I am sure your project will turn out okay. :grin:

Perfect! That is what I was hoping could be done. Now that I think about it driving around campus wouldn't be the big issue, but I am taking some big road trips coming up in the coming summer so pending on whether or not I need the rack well just have to see.

Would it be a bad idea to wire a new set of aux lights into the 2nd factory fog light switch I have installed? (need to make the write up... sorry ) It would be running 4 Westin off-road lights. Can you overload a switch?

Thanks,

J.B.

Anytime you are running lights it's a good idea to use a relay and a switch. So the real power is run through a larger gauge wire and won't risk burning anything up.

Okay so should I use something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-48145-4-Wire-Flat-Extension/dp/B0002RNSNM/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1322529128&sr=1-5

I'm kinda confused on how I would wire this switch so I could remove the lights when I take off the rack

Yea use that and cut it in half.

Just to stay consistent, I'd wire the ground to the white (trailer grounds are white, not sure why but whatever..) and then your power feed to any of the other three wires and then clip/cover the extra two wires. Or if you are using 2(or 3) sets of lights on 2 (or 3) seperate switches you could use the other 2 wires for power and just share a common ground between them all.

You will only use 2 of the 4 wires then.. power and ground. Just split the wire on roof side of the plug to power both lights and clip the extra wires off the plug or tape them down if you think you might need another set on the roof rack (reverse lights? or side aux lights for camping?)

Latest posts