IAC Cleaning

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I did the project for cleaning the IAC on my "01-job 1" Sport Trac and mine didn't look like the one pictured and it was not closed. Mine had a narrow stem with a spring showing in the bottom chamber when viewing with the electrical connection up and the top chamber just had the stem going through it. The valve itself was about the size of a Quarter, about 1/8 thick, looked like hardened rubber or graphite material and it was open about 1/16 of an inch.

Does the fact that it is open mean it is bad? If replacement is needed will the one in the picture on the project work on a job 1?

I have 90K miles on it and bought it used with 60K on it.. It isn't running badly but gas mileage sucks (always has, about 16mpg) and I seem to remember it running a little rough last winter when it was real cold out. I cleaned it because I don't want to get caught in the cold and have to do it because the Trac won't run right. Next up is another tranny flush and a fuel filter change when I get the oil changed in another 1K miles.

Mods done; New tires(Yokohama Geolanders), new shocks(Monroe Reflex), Air silencer removed and 2 extra 3" holes in it on the fender side, Computer Flashed (one of Wayne's early programmers)

Yeah, like tony said.:D

I think the one in the project is from a "job 2" ST. I don't think they are interchangable. Does the valve move freely? If not it could be shot. Another place to clean (that may help) would be the MAF. (electronic cleaner) That's about all I can think of besides what you already plan on changing (the fuel filter) and what you've already done. Sorry, not much help.;)

For $80 you can get a new one. I think that part of my problem was that the rubber sealing surface was hardeded by age, heat and my cleaning it 4 times. I just swapped it out last week. I am very interested in seeing if the around-towm mileage improves. My trip to phoenix and back at 80+ MPG resulted in 18.5 MPG, which is great for me. I have only seen 14 - 15 around town. We'll see.

thannks,

tony

Last edited by a moderator:
MOTORCRAFT Part # CX1791

SOHC; Before 7/24/00; XL2E-9F715AB {#YU3Z9F715AA} More Info

$66.79 $0.00 $66.79

The truth is if you have to clean your IAC you need to replace it. there are lots of people that thing cleaning is good. I am a ford senior master tech. it will cause problems again soon it is not hard to replace 5 min. tops 2 bolts.Fix it right and replace it you wont have to worry about it.

N.C.FSMT...on my wifes '01 3.0 escape the IAC works as should with AC on. Lets the rpms fall below 500 when you take your foot off the throttle without AC. Any Idea as to why??

Thanks

Latest posts