Idle Speed

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dre L

Reaction score
What is the proper idle speed setting for the Trac, when it is warmed up and in park? Anyone know?

Park, drive really shouldn't matter much since PCM adjusts IAC to correct idle speed. I believe 600 rpm is the specification.

And most of the tacs are not accurate, So it may reed 100 or so off.....

We found that at the dyno day the digital one was that far off...

Todd Z

I don't rely on any of my gauges much. I bought a scangauge long ago, hopefully the Trac's computer is accurate.

I had set the screw so that it was between 650 and 725 in park at normal operating temperature, but still found that given the right conditions in gear, I would have the RPM drop and surge with the AC on.

I bumped it up recently, which again solved the problem, but when I cleaned out my throttle body / IAC, it is now too high. I'm just wondering if anyone has found the magic number... I'm thinking it should be about 800RPM idle, so that it drops to a reasonable number under full load.

Right now it's 1100RPM idle, which drops to around 925 idle after I drive for a bit and put it back in park. With the AC on, that goes to around 825 in park, and stays in the upper 700's in gear.

Damn thing is running great that way, but I know 1100 is way too high. I guess I'll just keep tweaking it down until I find the right balance.

Just because your moving the screw your not 100% correctly adjusting the idle...

When you move that screw, your also moving the TPS around and changing the voltage, this can and will mess up the idle....

I would put a volt meter on the TPS and set that correctly first and see from there..

Todd Z

All things operating normally, Ford spec for the Trac at idle, at operating temperature is

750 rpms, no load, idle; 725 in drive. This is where mine is, ('05) and I just had mine back

to the dealer last week for rough idle/stalling, at 19,000 miles. They replaced the Idle Air

Control assembly and ran it through the full computer diagnostic program.

The service manager also said that on the tracs, regular cleaning of the IAC valve and

Throttle Body, should be considered normal maintenance. He recommended an interval

of 15-20,000 miles, depending on grade of fuel used, and driving habits.

Thank You, Sloan Ford, Columbia, TN.!:D