Ignition coil cable damaged

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim OLeary

Reaction score
2002 ST. The clip on the 4 cond cable which attaches to the ignition coil has broken off. I want to install a new cable but don't know where it goes. Or maybe there some other solution?
TIA

Wrap in electrical tape and/or zip-tie?

Here's info on IgnitionCoilPack wiring in my 2001 SportTracJob2;
I suspect your 2002 is the same. Hope this helps.
Click for more info on the V6~4.0L~SOHC Ignition System.
2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.Igni_0200_Diag.gif

2001.Ford.ExST_Engi.Igni_3000_Coil.6plg_Ford.90tf-12029-a1a.GIF

Last edited:
I had the exact same problem. And it was causing my vehicle to die and not start. I temporarily used zipties around connector and coil pack, horizontally above where the wire harness comes out of connector. Solved problems but i did go to my local oriellys and ordered a new pigtail(connector with leads).

I'd use these
* CrimpedButtSplices & good CrimpingDykes
* HeatShrinkInsulationSleeves & HeatGun\BlowDryer
* Scotch33ElectricalTape
* BlackZipTies
Make sure NOT to mix up the wires & firing order.

I wanted to avoid cutting off the connector and splicing up there in that confined space, but if that's the way to go, I will.

it can't be too much worse than replacing #2 spark plug (!)
Now it is the question of the right part number for the connector and whip
Thanks for the suggestions.

The coilpack is easy to remove, 4 bolts, to get it out of the way.

Actually, when i did mine, i left the coil bolted to the bracket and unbolted the bracket and had plenty of room. And the pigtail i got had the same wiring colors as my factory plug. I soldered mine in using the good old western union splice and marine grade heat shrink tubing with the glue inside it. And to me #3 spark plug was the worst!

If you have an oriellys nearby, order a coil connector, Part # S658 Line: STD. $21

Latest posts