I'm interested in upgrading to the 4:10 posi rear end...Updated Info

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Griffith 2

Reaction score
Where can I get info on this, Todd.. I believe you have the 4:10 right? How much is the upgrade, where can I get it from? :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Start with your local Ford dealer to get a high end price. Then, check with local speed and performance shops to get better pricing and advice on different gearing options. You don't have to have either 3.73 or 4.10 in the Trac. Tell them what size tires you want to run and if you are interested in performance or economy. Then, you can select a gear ratio that is right for your tire size and performance needs.

You can go junkyard diving and buy a whole new rear axle...that'd be the easiest. Only have to remove the driveshaft, the leafs, the brake lines and really...you're done.

A few places see upgraded gears that you have to install yourself. For soem reason, all the names are escaping me at the moment.

Do you plan on doing this yourself? Because gear swaps can get expensive, fast. A member wanted to upgrade his from 3.73 open to Ford 4.10 LS, was quoted around $1200.

Thanks for the quick responses. I was going to pay to have this done but couldn't see spending more than around 500 or 600 for it all. I sent this out to get an idea on the price. I think I'll hold off on this idea for a while.... Thanks again

keep in mind if you have a 4wd, you need to change both front and rear... the whole axle swap would be the easiest. IMHO

howdy,,

I do belive that powrlok makes an upgraded LS/Locker for 8.8 with LS carriers,,

I am more familar with the Dana 44 as apposed to the Ford 8.8,, because I have a couple of IH Scouts I am always beating,, but I do beleive the situation is the same. If you have a Dif with a factory LS in it,, then you are kind of limited on which lockers you can put in with having to change out the carrier.

Lets say you want a luch box style locker like and Aussie locker,, nice locker for under $250,, and a real locker,, which is night and day over a limited slip or 'clutch' type locker. It will not fit in an LS carrier, it can only be enstalled in an "open"carrier. The open carries are only like $60 new,, but you will have to set up the gears again. If you get a Detriot, ARB, OX, and so they are built around their own carriers and seting up the gears is implied.

You might see if you can find a powr lok for an 8.8 LS that does not need a gear set up. It will be a much tighter lock up than the factory double dog clutch. I have an 01 ST with 4x4 LS and 4.10s.. and so far the LS has worked very will..

Good luck brother

Get ahold of randys ring and pinon for gears and locker. You mite want to think about true-track or d-locker they have no cluches to mess up. I run one of each in the 66 bronco the 44 has a true-track and the rear is a d-locker work good good luck. Bill

Randy ring and Pinion is www.rignandpinion.com

you can look at the stuff at currie enterprises as well..

if you want to read a pleathera of info on off roading and re-gearing axles,, you can check http://www.binderbulletin.org/ that is a place for us old iron International Harveter types,,,

there is always the flame suit city,, www.pirate4x4.com (hope you have thick skin)

many jeep sights talk about 8.8 re-gearing because the Ford 8.8 is a nice upgrade for jeeps, so there is lots of locker and gearing stuff on many of the jeep sights,,

I had my 4.10s swapped out for 5.13s & it cost me around 800.00 for everything.

BTW if anyones interested in some good used gears I have the set of 4.10s cheap.

Griff,

What year and 4wd, 2wd ??? And do you have a Limited slip now or not???

If your under 2002 and have drum brakes, you better off getting a rear from the junk yard from and 03 and up and get the 4:10 and the disk brakes.....

If you have a limited slip 3:73 now all you need is a new r/p and installation kit. About 300 or so in parts and labor......

Ford Racing Ring and Pinion Sets

Gear, Ring and Pinion, 4.10:1 Ratio, Ford, 8.8 in., Set

Today $199.88

Ratech Deluxe Ring and Pinion Kits

Ring and Pinion Installation Kit, Ford, 8.8 in., Kit

Today $119.99

Thats say $350 for the parts, NOW if you don't have a locker or posi now, Add another 300 for a complete locker or about 200 for a power trax. Now your over $600 and still need labor....

I would try a Junk yard first... I think I even saw one on ebay...

Todd Z

For 2003 the 3:73 axle with limited-slip was optional on the XLS & the XLT, the 4:10 axle with limited-slip was optional on the XLT & the XLT Premium with either 4x2 or 4x4.