Indash NAV

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave S 2

Reaction score
This looks to be a very good deal if anyone was considering a new headunit and NAV system.

Eclipse brand and only $399 installed.

Yea thats an interesting approach at car audio/portable gps unit. Pretty neat idea, I just wonder how well it works, and for a pretty decent price too..

I am guessing it hasn't sold to well if they are offering $500+ in savings. Guessing they want to blow out stock and make it go away.

It looks ugly and honestly if you do some looking around you can find a Pioneer or Clarion unit for your vehicle that has a bigger screen and the same options.

Cheers

Whit

Yeah, it's a basic unit, not very pretty or blingy but thought someone might consider it if they were considering a portable NAV and a replacement HU on a budget.

With that in-mind, it is a namebrand for $299 and since not everyone on here is "smarter than a Ford engineer", some may not be able to install themself and the other $100 would be well spent.

So, for $399 installed, I wold consider it an overall good deal.

I really think that is a great idea.

Nobody said all good ideas end up as a success story.

If I were in the market for something like that, I would order it.

Tom

You are correct Jester but any Double DIN I've ever researched states that it won't work in the ST. Directly fit that is. Don't know about the 07-08's but the 01-05's just require a slight trim of the radio bezel and a trim kit

I looked at it over black friday, I like tom tom gps portables, I have had 2 and I have my 3rd on backorder. For the price it looks like a good unit if you dont mind the appearance.

2007 factory stereo w/sub woofer:

Installation Details for your 2007 Explorer Sport Trac:

"You'll lose factory SIRIUS Satellite Radio capability if you replace the factory radio."

I just bought one of these. Not as great a deal as I'd hoped, because Circuit City will not install it, because there is not a double DIN install kit for our Trac. They sold me a wiring adapter and a trim kit for $40. They say without the double DIN kit, there is no support for the weight of the unit other than via the bezel.

Does anyone have experience installing a unit of this size? I'm looking for suggestions of how to support the unit. I have until Jan. 8 to return this item, if I decide not to install it myself.

Tom,

Thanks for the tip. Additionally, I want to keep all of the rear seat controls working as well. I'm capable with electronics and wiring, but I'm hopeful that this wiring harness adapter they sold me keeps everything intact without tracing and splicing wires. Any thoughts? (Its been years since I installed a stereo in a vehicle, and have never taken the Trac's dash apart even slightly)

PMcD:

Sorry to hear of your delema but according to the below link

"Get your in-dash navigation system installed by Circuit City’s firedog. Our certified technicians have the tools and training to:

Install and connect aftermarket radio

Integrate radio and vehicle wiring harnesses

Attach applicable antenna connections

Connect auxiliary video sources

Connect manufacturer mobile video safety features

Mount and install GPS antenna

Provide a complete demonstration"

INTEGRATE RADIO AND VEHICLE WIRING HARNESS to me, means that wiring IS INCLUDED for the $100. But yes, you do have to lay out a few $'s for the trim kit (~$20). Might want to get a manager involved and raise a little hell if they are charging you for the wire or wire adapters.

I have a metra double din holiding my pioneer avic d3. I got it from crutchfield. it is the same adapter they sell for every other ford.

[Broken External Image]:

Thanks, Axxman. Metra is the brand that Circuit City uses, too. The trim kit they sold me is Metra. I will go back and try ot get them to do the install with the kit for the '01 Explorer like someone else mentioned.

What I liked about this unit is that the TomTom also serves as the display for the radio, CD, iPod, etc.

Armed with info (and pics) from Cayman and Axxman, I went back to Circuit City. They seemed to take my word that the Explorer double DIN bracket would work, but they had none in stock, and can't order it (2004 is new style according to them, and they can only order that.)

Ordered one for 2001 Explorer from Crutchfield, will bring that to them when it arrives, and see if they will install.

I'm wondering how much hassle I'm actually saving vs. just installing myself. Can anyone advise on procedure to pull factory radio? I think I'd be fine installig the new, once I get the old one out. Thanks.

Latest posts