Infamous Rough Idle - Triping Codes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Boer

Reaction score
Greetings fellow Sport Trac'rs. Just had a question for some of the knowledgable guys on the infamous "PCV elbow" with rough idle. I had noticed through some previous threads that there is the PCV elbow that goes bad and trips codes P0171, P0174, and P0300 (Lean banks 1, 2 and a misfire). My question is that member "Caymen" had posed a few questions in the past to a few members asking whether the truck idled rough only when it was cold out and indicated that this may point toward the intake manifold gasket.

This matches my exact situation. My truck tuns great all summer long, and then the first cold morning in the fall (50 degrees, or below) it idles rough at start up and wants to stall and will trip one of the three codes above. Once it warms up everything is fine.

At first I thought it may be the PCV elbow that shrinks slightly in the cold weather, which may allow air to enter and run rough and then expand when it heats and runs alright. I just wanted to check on the intake manifold gaasket to see if anyone had any thoughts, or instructions on replacement. Any info would be extremely helpful on which of these problems may be more likely based on my symptoms. Thanks in advance for your time.

Info on vehicle - 2001 4.0L Sport Trac

clean your IAC too (idle air control)...i just did mine...world of difference...my trac wasn't starting in the cold, after a clean IAC, fired right up

David,

You need to confirm if you have a Job 1 or Job 2 Trac. Which side of the engine is the oil filler on?

Tom

Here is a photo of my engine. The oil filler is on the right side of the engine looking from the front (Drivers side).

I also cleaned out the Mass air sensor a few weeks back, which seems to have prevented the P0171 and P0174 codes, but not the rough idle, or the P0300 code.

[Broken External Image]:

Yup, Job 1,,,

Sounds like intake gasket time..

DO the timing chain tensioner while your in there.... And maybe the t stat and Water pump and hoses...

Todd Z

Just out of curiosity, how does an old gasket cause it to idle rough only when it is started in cold temperatures and then once it warms up (less than 10 minutes) goes away and doesn't cause any issues all summer in the warmer weather?

Any idea how long it would take to change the intake gasket?

Just out of curiosity, how does an old gasket cause it to idle rough only when it is started in cold temperatures and then once it warms up (less than 10 minutes) goes away and doesn't cause any issues all summer in the warmer weather?

When a material gets cold, it contracts. When it gets warm it expands. When you start your engine up, it is cold. The plastic intake is contracted. When it runs, the engine warms up. The intake will then expand. The expansion causes the materials get tighter therefore not allowing air to leak through the gasket seals.

Changing the gasket is not hard at all. There is a TSB on it. It gives you exact instructions on how to fix it.

Not hard at all. If you buy the repair kit for it, it includes the front timing chain tensioner, oil galley plug, oil restrictor tube, and upper & lower intake gaskets.

Here are some pictures to give you an idea what is to be done.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

If you lived closer to Akron, Ohio, I would invite you over to my house and help you do it.

Tom

P.S. left side/right side is decided as if you are sitting in the drivers seat. The cars in the USA are Left Hand Drive. Drivers seat is the left side of the vehicle. Your oil filler is on the left side because you have a Job 1 Sport Trac.

My wifes sprot trac is having the same problem and its a job one. It has rough idle and it has the angry bees sound of the loose timing tensioner. You say that all of that comes in a kit from the dealer? Any idea on the part number of that kit. Also I plan to do the intake and was just going to leave the timing tensioner alone because I figured I would have to pull the front end of the engine apart the get to the timing chain, (water pump, power steering, altenator, timing cover, etc.) is that not the case. I am use to working on old cars and am trying to learn new ones, is the tensioner in an easy to get to place? Thanks.

Latest posts