instrument cluster bulb replacement '03

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James W

Reaction score
I am going to replace my instrument cluster light bulbs this weekend (unless it is too cold). I have pretty much figured how to get to them thanks to some older posts. Can anyone tell me how many bulbs there are in the instrument cluster? While I have it out, I want to replace all of them and I don't want to have it torn apart and have to drive to the auto parts store after I have counted them.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure when I did mine there were 6 of them. I went with 194 greens (to get rid of the white light on the odometer). They dimmed the speedo and gauge needles but not enough to be bothersome. They are 194 white if you want stock.;)

their are 6 of them... i would replace them with green 194 leds, and then go to a wreckers and get the white speedo needles from late 90's explorer... then you can look like this... but in green.

[Broken External Image]:

Notice how the needles arent orange.

Last edited by a moderator:
really simple... there are about 6 to 8 small screws that hold the clear plastic part againt the gauges... remove those.. the grab a fork and pop off old needles... push on new ones... not too hard or they will stick and not move.

also be sure to mark off where all the neddles were before you took them off (recommend gassing up to full before you do this) that way the gas gauges can be placed at full, check where you idle and put the needle back at that point, everything else should be at the half way point. and the speedo is the only toughy.... its up to you how you want to approach this, eiether get a scangauge, drive beside someone to confirm proper speeds or something like that.

D,

You replaced them with out taking the cluster out of the truck ????

Just checking, because if you removed it, aren't the bulbs replaced from the back, and no need to remove the needles ???

Todd Z

Todd, read the posts!!!!! Come on, are you new here? Just kidding.:D Big D stated that if he went with the green 194's he could then, if he wanted, replace the needles with clear ones to go all green. I then asked how hard it was to replace them, (I highjacked the thread like someone else does to me :D) and Big D answered me. :D;)