intake mod

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just got an '03 ST 4x4 a little over a month ago. It replaced my '93 ranger 4x4 that I had for six years. Now, when I drive my stock Trac, it essentially feels like it's still my ranger. One thing I noticed on my Trac and also discussed on this board is the intake air box and that tiny little "snorkle" inlet. Something has to be done because this is obviously depriving me of hp and mpg. I currently have one of those cheap paper filters in there and I will replace it and do one of two (or more?) options:

1. Get a K&N filter and drill holes in the stock air box for more flow ($50 fix).

2. Get a hole new MAC intake system ($165 fix + some work)

Just was wondering if it was worth the effort and money to replace the stock intake or just throw a K&N filter in there and get more air to it. Thanks.

p.s. I am planning on getting an xcal 2 from Wayne.

Ok, I've just got to reply. Just got an '04 sport trac, to replace the '93 ranger myself. How can you POSSIBLY say that it's just like driving the ranger? This thing weighs a ton! It's much larger, much heavier, much wider, and much longer. It's a boat compared to my little regular cab short bed ranger! Not that I'm complaining, except for the gas mileage. 15.5 mpg this last trip, all local. Not that good but I guess not that bad, either.

--Bob

I would go with the Mac. They are pretty easy to install and the gains would be much better especially with the Xcalibrater 2....;)