intake whistle question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Endrizzi

Reaction score
I just put on a cone filter on my trac, now I get a loud intake whistle just above idle.. is there any way of getting rid of the whistle??? whats causing it?

its the "Home depot" cheap intake with ractive filter.

any suggestions?

Its your plastic throttle body.... The factory setup silences the noise..

you can file down the TB and make some changes to the plastic lips in the TB to reduce it or eliminate it...

Some times it works and some times it does not..

Todd Z

OMG mike I can identify with this problem VERY WELL.

I gradually upgraded my intake and had to deal with this annoying whistling for about a year. I took Todd Z's advice and took some fine grit sandpaper to some of the sharp edges inside the TB. Its impossible to tell if what you've sanded down is going to make a difference until you put it all back together and go for a drive. I swear I took it apart, sanded a bit, put it back together and then drove it like 6 different times with minimal results every time. It was getting better little by little until I put a full intake kit and then it got LOUD.

I gave up monkeying around with it because I knew I wanted a Zabteck TB and I'd just wait till I got one. I was thinking it would be close to another year before I'd drive without hearing that god forsaken whistle, but a used Zabteck TB popped up on the S&S board and I jumped on it.

Now its all good :cool: The Zabteck Throttle Body eliminated the whistle and gave the truck a whole new GROWL!

Thank god for Zabteck.

My advice to you, buy a new TB from Zabteck :D If you can't afford that, get some fine grit sand paper and start going at that opening at the top of the TB that leads to the IAC. Sand down every sharp edge around the IAC and the TB you can feel with your finger, BUT DONT SAND DOWN TOO MUCH - you dont want to $#@& anything up!

I think Todd can speak to this a bit better than I can, so shoot him an email or something. He's got a great picture of the area you should start by focusing on.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys... I cant afford a new TB right now- hense the $25 cone filter... and I am afraid of messing something up if I start sanding... so it looks like I will have to put the airbox back in the truck...

Will a k&n drop in still make the loud whistle??

the whistle is tolerable with the (silencer removed) airbox in, but is just too loud for me with the cone filter

thanks again

Latest posts