Interested in replacing the bed-liner...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big K

Reaction score
This has been something that has really bothered me since I got my ST, my bed-liner is really scratched up from the previous owner. Since our bed-liners are just bolted in (to my knowledge), it's possible to just unbolt it, head to the junkyard and get one in better shape, right? Has anyone done this sort of thing before?

Also, on a side note I have a pretty decent scratch underneath my ST badge on the back. It looks to have been covered by some of the dealership coverup paint, but poorly done. I know that using the coverup paint if it is used well it can be covered, but what are some other ways of clearing it of the blemish. It looks like it went entirely through the clearcoat, but I'm not positive. I can post a picture later if anyone is interested.

My goal:

The goal I am trying to achieve before the end of summer is a brand-new sort of look to my paint, and the whole exterior bit of the car. There quite a bit of little blemishes that you won't see in photos, but I see on a daily basis that I would like to fix. I've considered even repainting the entire car, but I don't have that sort of money, and in my financial situation that would be entirely irrational. But yeah... That's the goal.

There is no "bed liner". The black piece you see bolted in is the composite bed itself. it is replaceable but at a premium cost. That's probably also true of used ones.

7db1c5598457884c3e3244019f1a55a4.jpg

I agree with Jerry. Either get it Rhinolined, or Line-X'd sprayed. You can get it in a matching black or any other color that coordinates well with the truck's color, and they wear like iron.

There have been some people here who have reported cracks in the composite bed when loads slid forward an hit the front wall of the bed...which seems to be the thinnest part and more suseptible to cracking. Those spray on liners will prevent that from happening. In fact I have seen where they have looked at using Line-X as a bomb shield. They have even coated concrete building blocks with Line-X and dropped them from 5 story buildings and the blocks did not break....That's some pretty tuff stuff !!

...Rich

I've been interested in Line-X, but I don't have any idea where they do coatings like that. My dad has it on his Chevy Colorado, but it came like that from the dealership. But if I could find a place that does those linings I'm sure it would be a much cheaper alternative than replacin the whole bed. I didn't realize that it was all one solid piece.

Like a carpet mat? Or rubbery? I like the hard finish, personally. Ideally I'd like to have the stock, non-scratched/roughed-up bed look, but that would take a lot of work. Steve, it looks like you've come close to changing the bed once before, is it a pretty tough task?

I have the Ford OEM rubber mat and it works mint! Things don't slid around nearly as much and if I destroy the mat I won't be too upset. :grin:

Alright, well I'm gonna think on this for a bit. I like the idea of the Line-X stuff, but I'm sort of liking the idea of the rubber mat as well... Decisions, decisions...

Oh, and here is that photo of the scratch on the back that I was talking about.[Broken External Image]:

I'm considering taking it to a paint and body shop to get an estimate done because my I'll eventually need to take my truck there anyway to get a paint-transfer buffed out of my bumper. Yeah, so four days after I bought my truck a guy backed into it while I was working... It hasn't taken any of my paint that I can see, but needless to say I was pretty peeved by the whole deal.

we have the OEM Ford bed mats in all our STs and STA & they are pretty rugged looking & have the raised rigs like the beds. I wouldn't have a ST w/out one, they are less than a 100 bucks best I recall.

I think others here in the past have attempted "Line-X" their Trac beds, only to find that it won't adhere to the plastic bed.

TrainTrac

I had a Rhinoliner guy tell me that the company did not recommend spraying their product on plastic, but I have seen Line-X state that they can spray their liner material on anything.

I have not heard of anyone here reporting that their Line-X did not stick to the composite bed, but I would suspect that the Line-X dealer did not do a proper cleaning and prep job before spraying on the coating. Even if it did not stick to the composit bed, it sticks to itself so well that it would not chip or flake off, and never hardens like paint, the whole spray-in liner would probably only come out in one piece...:grin:

...Rich

BigK, all you need is a helper to pick up one side a you pick up the other. It's not heavy just bulky and a bit tricky maneuvering around the front corner panels and gas filler.

a153cf84afda95950cbd606ab8b762b3.jpg

My daughter actually put the side panels back on by herself.

3890a97f0fda990f2ba13aa973996219.jpg

Scrub it with Westley's Bleache-White and rub it out with Back To Black. Then get a bed mat.

I got a bed mat for my Gen 2 last year because the bed marks up a lot easier than the Gen 1's and it's also a lot slipperier.

Description Year MSRP Your Price

Mat 07-10 $178.72 $150.12

I went to a site sponser Fast Parts network, and found this. I never had a bed liner before, but would like to keep the bed looking good. They do tend to scratch. Anyone else recomentd them?

Steve, that's pretty cool that you guys actually did that. But I looked at the prices for beds via junkyards and whatnot and it's a bit out of my range. I also got a quote from the closest Line-X dealer and he said it would cost $475 non-negotiable. Yikes! So, because I'm 1) not Mr. Moneybags, and 2) can't really convince myself that replacing the whole bed would be worth it, I might go with JohnnyO's idea - rub it down and buy a mat.