Interesting way to get out of a ticket...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WXMotorSports DecalsPartsAccs

Reaction score
BTW...also mentioned in the article is Jeannie Mucklestone WA State Lawyer. WA State Troopers hate hearing her name because she gets so many tickets dismissed on technicalities. Such as the radar detector used by Troopers haven't been calibrated within spec of WST guidelines.

My favorite one is the only trained person to calibrate those quit and they didn't find a replacement for three months.

Right is right and wrong is wrong...

If the cop was illegal in his action of obtaining the information to write the ticket, then the kid deserves to win.

Good for him.

I got pulled over for speeding on the way to work yesterday morning at 5am. I was doing 45 in a 35. The cop asked me " DO you know why I pulled you over" and I said "yeah I was speeding". He looked confused and said " Well Frank, since you were honest with me, I will be honest with you, , if your license and reg are clean I will let you go". He checked me out and I was on my way in 2-3 minutes. I guess u dont find cops like that alot, LOL

Been a cop since 1980. Out west, we ask "Do you know why...?" as a part of a scripted series of questions we ask all drivers we pull over. We ask that, plus, "Is there any mechanical reason...?", "Were there any unusual conditions that required you to...?" "Are you on any medication...?" etc., etc. This script was developed over the years to stymie anticipated, popular protests in court.

Also, being out west, a female officer is just as likely to be interested ;) (and therefore, perhaps, a bit more lenient) in a fine, friendly, flirty female as a male officer. However, those gals who depend on looks and contrived charm to get by in life will often find it works against them when stopped.

IMHO, the best thing you can do when stopped is to be cooperative and honest. Cops listen to more BS in one day than most people do in a lifetime. We have BS radar. Cooperation, respect and honesty will go far. It's not a guarantee of a pass, but it works better than any other method I've seen. In cop parlance, it's called Passing the Attitude Test. Yea, I know, many cops, themselves, would not pass.

I've had many tickets thrown out of court. Traffic courts by design are more lenient than criminal courts. I've had drivers bring in photos of intersections or traffic signs, etc. I've had "citees" claim I had no authority to write the ticket they received because I cited them at a location that was not within my assigned patrol beat (by law, I can cite someone anywhere in the state). It's all part of the game we call juris prudence. Bottom line, you may beat me in court on the ticket...but win or lose I still get paid overtime $$$ just for being there. :p

Some of us actually love lawyers such as the one mentioned (Ms. Mucklestone) because the longer they drag out a traffic citation hearing, the more overtime we get (gotta' earn enough OT $$$ to buy a cold air intake and exhaust system for the Trac!) :cool: and we also learn how to close these loopholes the lawyers identify.

The ultimate goal is not, as some may suggest, to increase revenues for my jurisdiction. It is not to harass, vex or annoy "innocent" (sure) drivers. I do not have a quota (I can write as many tickets as I like) nor do I get a new microwave oven as a prize for writing the most tickets in a month. The goal is to keep the morons off the road so our families can traverse the streets and highways in relative safety. For every driver who beats a ticket, there are a hundred who don't. Not a perfect system, but until something better comes along it works for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of us actually love lawyers such as the one mentioned (Ms. Mucklestone) because the longer they drag out a traffic citation hearing, the more overtime we get (gotta' earn enough OT $$$ to buy a cold air intake and exhaust system for the Trac!) and we also learn how to close these loopholes the lawyers identify.

Sorry, she doesn't drag hearings out. In Seattle tickets go in front of a Magistrate behind closed doors. She gets numerous citations dropped without the cop being present.

In the last 25 years I've gotten 2 tickets. So, no worries even though I speed 10+ over every time I'm in a vehicle. I just know where you predictable cops always park.

First of all its now nice to have Eltee here to back me up on the occasional police issues that pop up here and seem to spark such debate.

Writing traffic tickets varies greatly throughout the country. In my area I would be willing to bet that less than 1 in 4 drivers stopped for a traffic offense gets a ticket, for normal speeding, not criminal speed, is even less than that. it is just the way that things have evolved around here, we are quite lax with traffic enforcement but dont really have any big problems because of it. For me personally honesty goes a long ways. When I stop someone for speeding and they own up to it are civil towards me they rarely get a ticket. FYI my department gets no direct funds from traffic citations, that money all goes to the state, obviously we indirectly benefit but so does every citizen as the money collected from tickets offsets the amount needed in taxes to fund the Department of public safety.

As for this guys defense I think that it is sad that someone could use another person's actions, whether it be a police officer or not, to justify their own actions. I mean what does the fact that the officer may or may not have violated another traffic offense have to do with this guy's speeding, nothing. I think the appropriate action of the judge would have been to uphold the speeding ticket (assuming there was no other defense other than he broke the law so I should get away with it to) and maybe suggested that the department review their policies and review the laws and which ones officers are "allowed" to violate and when.

I understand that there are many police officers that abuse their powers and do things like speed unnecessarily and those problems sometimes need to be addressed but that should not be a valid excuse for the actions of other people.

The ultimate goal is not, as some may suggest, to increase revenues for my jurisdiction.

You need to fix your typo. Speeding tickets are revenue for many communities. Boston Heights, Ohio makes MILLIONS of dollars per year in speeding tickets. They have jurisdiction of about 3/4 of a mile on a highway, but have 20 officers to patrol that road.

If it were not for the police in that area, the city would go bankrupt.

Tom

Though I am not a big fan of some of the "speed traps" I here about in other areas I guess personally I would just as soon let law violators fund the police department or other city expenses than an increase in my taxes. If I should happen to be one that gets a ticket well then I guess I pay my share and hopefully remember to slow down next time. The state gets all the funds from traffic tickets written here and there is no doubt that absent those funds they would have to come up with that money elsewhere with some sort of increase in tax (income, gas tax, property tax etc). For instance I believe the Troopers who patrol our turnpike are 100% funded by moneys from traffic violations.

I say enforce the law on criminals and keep the streets free from prostitutes and drugs.

A speed trap is exactly what it is. It is a trick to steal money from innocent people. That is right, I said steal. Theives, burglers, criminals.

The police force reverting right back to scum. Crime!

Tom

Tom:

I don't follow.

(a) Speed limits are created for the health, safety and welfare of the public.

(b) Enforcement of speed limits furthers this state (or municipal) interest.

(c) A speed trap is nothing more than enforcing the aforementioned in an area where speed limits obviously are not followed; if they were, no one would be pulled over.

(d) Enforcement, whether by radar or vascar, furthers a legitimate state (or municipal) interest.

How is it a trick? I've never seen the police erect new speed limit signs, catch a few, then remove them. New speed limits are, in states with which I am familiar, advertised via notice in local publications. Sure, we don't all read them, but that's our fault.

Don't get me wrong--I'm no adherent to speed limits. Shoot, four years ago I had a 78 in a 55--but for the kindness of the officer at the magistrate's office, and a reduction to a lesser offense, I would have been 2 MPH away from an automatic suspension--and I had no previous points or infractions! But, simply because I choose to go a little faster (not that fast anymore, or not since I got the ST) doesn't mean if I am caught, it's the police's fault.

I can't say this is much of a trick, but having my CDL's has gotten me out of numerous tickets. I've been pulled over 3 times in the past year. Never got a ticket, or a warning. Only got a friendly conversation and some information. Of all of these times I was pulled over, I had my TV screen up and playing, and had thought I had gotten pulled over for it up. The answer I had gotten from all officers was, "No, I just pulled you over b/c you passed me." LOL sorry. I try to stay within 5-10mph of the limit, but COPS, don't like it when you pass and I can understand why they would pull over, b/c well, thats what they are supposed to do. Welp :) have a good day.

I think 99% of the time the last thing on the patrol cops mind is the money that a ticket collects. They get no direct compensation from it though I guess in some jurisdiction moneys do go directly to their departments but even in those I still bet that the officer is not thinking about how much money they can go out and collect from tickets. In fact in my area it is somewhat the opposite. Over the past couple of years my state has drastically raised the fine amounts on many of the common traffic tickets and that has led to a decrease in traffic tickets. I know that many officers consider the fine amount when writing a ticket, not so much whether each individual can afford it, but is the $300 fine necessary to achieve the goal of getting someone to comply with the laws. I often will write a lesser violation, say a $100 seat belt ticket instead of a $250 speed ticket, and explain to them the break they have gotten and that they really need to slow down or it can get quite costly or if I write just a warning I make sure to include on the warning how much the ticket WOULD have cost them to hopefully help motivate them to correct there actions.

Anyway thats enough about how things are done here because I know every place is different but I think the bottom line is that traffic enforcement is part of the job that police officers have to do right along with the other stuff that Caymen prefers that they do. As I said while I personally do not like the idea of speed traps I certainly would say that it is a "trick" or stealing. It is a technique to use to enforce speeding laws, no one is tricked into speeding they are just caught by surprise. I have participated in a few "speed traps" because that is what my supervisor told me I was going to be doing that day. We do speed details very infrequently, almost always in response to a specific complaint made by a town or group about a specific area.

i had a cop clock me at 50-55 in a 40. he followed me for about 5 miles, i assume he was checking my record (which is clean), but never pulled me over. not all cops are out there to get you. (i guess it helped that he followed me to my night school)

I got stopped doing 63 in a 45 on a local road back when I had my 2000 Chevy Impala. That thing would get away from me. One morning I left for work, turned onto the main road just off the road our house is on, went 1/2 mile and got stopped. The local township police sits in a driveway nearby and uses paint marks on the road and a stopwatch to determine approx speed. I was speeding. I was so, so, speeding.

He took my license, registration, and said:

"Mr Rogers, do you still live on [insert street address]? "

I affirmed.

He handed me back my stuff and said:

"Well, I don't want to ruin your whole day, especially since you JUST left your house. Please slow down. Have a nice day"

And that was it.

I never go above the speed limit on that road to this day (this was 4 years ago)....though I get tons of tailgaters because of it.

I am sure if I was passing through the township and had an address outside of it I would probably have gotten a ticket.

TJR

It's really kind of a shame that a good lawyer can get you out of a ticket (or any other crime). That is our criminal justice system at work. If your stupid enough to be driving 65 in a 30 mph area then you deserve to be fined. This is why being a cop is so frustrating. Many of the people that deserve to be fined or behind bars buy their way out of it.

There was a story yesterday on our local news about a doctor that was drunk and hit a pedestrian. Turns out he had been stopped for DWI's several times in the past but always bought himself out. Thus he just keeps on driving drunk and is a threat to everyone.

TomT, firedog, though I generally agree with you both, I have to say that if the police are allowed to break laws when obtaining evidence of crimes or other illegal activity, then we have no real justice system.

We can't have a legal system that allows "Fruit from the poisonous tree". See link below.

TJR