IPOD in sport trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2001 sport trac with the six disc changer (factory) what is the best way to hook up my ipod. I want it hardwired to the radio. I read somewhere that there is no way to hook up an input on the radio because it is an internal changer. Any ideas? What have you guys done? I want to go the cheapest route possible because the radio i have now is fine for me. I was thinking about trying to trade my six disc changer for a factory cd player that had the input in the back for a changer.

I actually don't know. I tried hooking the headphone output to my aux input on my head unit, and the sound is very weak. I'm currently looking to see if I can find a setup I like better but haven't had time with school and work.

Jeff, did you turn up the volume on the ipod itself????

I ask because, the in dash radio only amplifies what it is given, if the ipod is plugged in but turned down, you will get a weak signal output...

KP, yes.

Even at full volume on the iPod, I have to turn up the stereo to about 35, there is no bass, and the sound is not great.

Buy a headunit with an ipod input. Like I did, mine has bluetooth as well.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same radio. Below is the link to what I used. I've had it approx 4 years now with no problems. The AB-FRD20 cable piggy backs inbetween the cable that leads to the rear seat controls. Once hooked up, just press the "CD" button a second time to switch to it. The sound is great and you can search forward and backward thru the head unit. However, you cannot do any menu navigation thru the head unit. Also, you still have full control of the ipod thru the ipod while it is hooked up.

[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Since you have the 6 cd changer, you can not buy the adapter that uses that input as an aux input -- someone on here was selling one but i can't remember who.

Unless you cahnge the headunit out (if you do, try crutchfield.com -- they include all the harness adapters and mounting kits for free -- this will add a good bit to the cost of the head unit if bought somewhere else possibly), an fm modulator may be the way to go.

I bought one for my XM and it works just fine. I was using the tape adapter (this may be an option for you also) but my tape deck started ejecting it after about a week (I think the adapter was bad) so i bought the FM modulator.

I do not notice any difference between the take thing and the modulator (it disconnects teh antenna when XM is turned on) but I do have high freq hearing issues so you may have other experiences.

Gerry

I think I'm gonna try a hook up that plugs into the bottom of the iPod and provides RCAs, instead of the headphone jack. From a little reading, that provides better sound, and also allows to hook into power to charge the iPod.

Scott, here is a link as to where you can purchase the unit...they also carry the cable you will need

Jeff C....this unit charges the ipod as well. Just a thought

I'm looking at an iPod adapter at Brandmotion.com -- I know they make one for an '07. I'm not sure about other years . . .

edit -- I just went to the site, and it says it is for '07 & '08. Sorry to waste your time.

If I'm understanding Scott correctly, he's saying that he has a six disc in-dash unit, right? Which means that it most likely is not compatible with the item shown above, because I'm pretty sure that prior to 2004 the factory six-disc in dash units didn't have cd changer or aux capability, unless they were satellite radio ready. And I believe the satellite radio-ready option only appeared after 2004.

I have a 2004 Adrenalin the factory Pioneer Adrenalin six-disc in-dash head unit. Like Scott's, my unit does not have changer capability. So my only options were an over-the-air FM modulator, an in-line FM modulator, or replace the whole unit. I'm pretty satisfied with the factory unit's performance, so I've been using an over-the-air FM modulator for some time now. It's not bad, but not perfect sound. I'm getting ready to install an in-line FM modulator that I found on Crutchfield's site for $29.99 (linked below). I'm planning on installing a mounted aux input jack for it somewhere also, and possible a hard-wired charger plug also.

2f01bf00fc9ccb59919a8f7bb40a85fc.jpeg

I think I'm gonna try a hook up that plugs into the bottom of the iPod and provides RCAs, instead of the headphone jack. From a little reading, that provides better sound, and also allows to hook into power to charge the iPod.

Jeff C,

Is this what you're talking about?

[Broken External Image]:

I just found it, and am gonna get it to hook up to my in-line FM modulator. However, I'm not sure it'll provide charging voltage to the iPod, but rather just line level audio to the modulator. There are also some on Amazon that have both audio and video RCA plugs.

8d2b9c83edf58617e1c3943caddd8346.jpg

If I'm understanding Scott correctly, he's saying that he has a six disc in-dash unit, right? Which means that it most likely is not compatible with the item shown above, because I'm pretty sure that prior to 2004 the factory six-disc in dash units didn't have cd changer or aux capability, unless they were satellite radio ready. And I believe the satellite radio-ready option only appeared after 2004.

Certain 01-03 6CD radios have changer capability. The in-dash units that have a "CD" button, specifically. Hit the button, and if it says "NO CDDJ," the unit can run an iPod/AUX converter. If it doesn't, then it cannot.

Latest posts