Is anyone pulling a boat

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Jolley

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone is pulling a boat with a Gen2 V8 ST. If so what length and type of boat and how does the truck handle it on the highway and on city streets. I'm looking at getting a boat and I want to make sure I don't overload the truck, for example I don't want it constantly searhing for a gear.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I pull a 19 foot bass boat.

I just got an XCal with a towing tune, but without that tune, it still pulled fine. The towing tune allows for crisp and firm shifts, exactly whay you want when loading up a tranny. Slipping and slow shifts cause fluid shear and that is what causes heat and fluid breakdown.

The boat size and trailer type will make a difference, also. In this state, brakes are not required on my trailer, but I wish it had them.

I'm pulling a 16ft Javelin bass boat with a 112 Johnson...and a 19ft Bayliner Cuddy with a Volvo 4 cylinder inboard..

..with my 01 4.0 with no problems at all..

To make matters worse...I dont have a class 3 hitch yet...so all of this towing is straight off the factory bumper..and a 2 inch ball..

So unless you have a small aircraft carrier or something..I dont see you having any problems..:D

As for the handling..the Trac's towing capabilities are so nice that you have to use the rear-view mirror to make sure you are actually towing something...handles nicely..

have towed a Tracker PT 175 total weight of about 1500 lbs with an 02 and 07 V6, no problems, 1500 lbs of motorcycle & trailer with same, etc., should not have any troubles pulling most boats, etc., with no mods to the ST, depending upon what you boat you get, just turn the OD off, will stay in 4/5 gear, and should not "hunt" unless needed. Never driven a 6 sp ST, I just turn the OD off on my V6 and it tows find, shifting when needed.

I pulled a 19' CC Robalo on a tandem axle from Jax to Keys with no problem in the highway or boat ramps. Also, I pulled a 69 Mach 1 on a tow dolly from Jax to Nashville and back with minor drag going up and down the hills.

I pull a 20' Starcraft that tips the scale at about 5000 lbs when loaded. We have a 2007 4.6L, with 4WD. I have not had a problem with it. The braking ability of the the ST is wonderful too. Which is great because last year I had problems with my trailer's surge brakes.

I do tow with the OD turned off on my trans, and if I'm in hilly terrain I will manually shift it to keep it in the powerband.

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well it performs.

On a side note, I'm pulling the boat out of storage tonight to start getting her ready for the season. Wahoo!

Thanks all, I'm looking for an 18-20' flats/skiff type boat and I travel to different events so I just wanted to make sure that this thing could handle it easily.

I pull a 20ft Crownline in the summer (boat is all red and it matches the red on my Adrenaline perfectly!!) and also a three place fully enclosed snowmobile trailer (heavy sucker - 4500lbs).

In both cases the Trac handles things very well.. better than my 2000 Expedition I might add.. it simply feels more stable and better planted.

I have a large jetski, with trailer and a full tank of gas it's about 1000 lb. Mine's a V6, no problems towing it. Towed it with two Rangers and one other Sport Trac, the Tracs are much better because of the 4 wheel disc brakes IMO.

I pull a 20ft open car trailer...total weight with car is around 4500lbs. Had enough power but did play with the O/D switch on the highway when I hit some long uphills. I have a V8 STA.

Only issue is mileage...about 12mpg (mostly highway) which I guess, all things considered, is not that bad. My non-tow mileage is only 15-16 ave...18 if all highway

Latest posts