Is Ford selling defective mufflers?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Dummit

Reaction score
Bought an 02 ST in March 03, with 13k and a Mercury certified warranty for 72/75K at a distant dealer in Goshen NY. In May 05, with 32K miles, the muffler broke where the pipe from the cat is welded to the body of the muffler. My local dealer in Mt Kisco NY replaced it under warranty. Now, 16 months later, at 53K miles, the new muffler broke again in the exact same place.

As I see it, the muffler should not be breaking twice in less than two years, especially at exactly the same place, unless there is something defective in the design of system. I do not do any offroading and I do not abuse the vehicle (other than New York potholes;)). I have not modified anything except put a better airfilter on (as described by others on this site). I don't see how a less restrictive filter could lead to the weld breaking repeatedly between the pipe and muffler. The problem has to be in the way the pipe is suspended causing it to flex too much at that point. Or else Ford is selling shoddy equipment with weak welds.

The local dealer says it is no longer under warranty and wants $446.54 for a new stock muffler. I pointed out that it is supposed to be under a Ford certified warranty. He says take it back to the dealer I bought it from, which is 60 miles away. Not exactly on my way to work in the morning.

1. Is this typical Ford behavior? I was told when I bought the truck that the warranty was good at any dealer.

2. Are the stock Ford exhaust systems defective? Anybody else had this happen, once or repeatedly?

3. How do I convince Ford customer service (800-392-FORD) that this is their fault and it should be a warranty replacement?

4. If Ford won't do the honorable thing, are there any recommendations for fixing this at a muffler shop? Do I ask for them just to weld the broken part, or weld a new less restrictive muffler onto the old pipe?

I have really enjoyed the ST, despite the usual gripes about the godawful stock wranglers, the mileage, and the kangaroo rear suspension. But if this is the way Ford treats its customers, this will be my first and last Ford. I never had this sort of problem with Subaru or Honda, and I got my eye on that Ridgeline.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you have a unique problem with the vehicle. Either a mounting bracket or hanger could be to blame. For the money quoted you could replace the entire system with a cat-back performance exhaust. As far as the warranty you need to contact Mercury and find out your options. Or, you can go to any muffler shop and have it repaired for less than $100 as long as the muffler is not damaged and usuable. Good Luck...

This is the first I have heard of this.... How did they replace the muffler only, The ST is a welded stainless steel system.....

I wounder if something is out of alignment or a bad hanger is at fault...

I would get a flowmaster and have a shop weld it in....

Todd Z

A friend of mine had a similar problem with his Mazda 626 back about 10 years ago. They replaced it twice under the three year warranty and got rid of the car as soon as the warranty ran out.

...Rich

if it is a Ford motor company warranty, it is illegal for them to make you take it to the dealer you bought it from, unless it is less than 30 miles away... big lawsuit on that about 10-15 years ago.... any dealer should warranty it

Right, Todd.

My error. It was not just a replacement of the muffler, it was the entire welded assembly after the cat. That is why they charge $450.

esdummit, like TZ said, sounds like something is not aligned properly putting pressure on that particular weld, thus causing it to fail. You may want to ask them to look into this, or take it to an trustworthy independent shop and have them check. So long as it's under warranty and you haven't changed the exhaust they should cover it.

Might be same as Ford heater cores. Had 3 of these replaced in my wife's Expedition within one year. Mechanic finaly gave up and installed a non oem core and then there were no problems.

I still have my stock muffler that was cut out, (1 year old ). If you can get a shop to weld it, You can have it really cheap. You're not all that far from me if you want to meet up somewhere.

Gary D. in CT