Is there a Way to Use the Door Keypad with an Alarm System

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mookie

Reaction score
Is there a way to be able to use the door keypad to get in without activating the alarm?

As soon as I touch the keypad button, the alarm will sound. Sometimes, when i'm outside around the house, I don't have my keys with me and want to open the door and get something.

Thanks... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aftermarket alarm, I assume? If so, it'll need to have a wire that enables an outside source to trigger a disarm, or be able to disarm automatically on unlock.

My truck does the same thing (aftermarket alarm), as soon as the first key is hit it goes off if set. I've not had the time to play around with wiring it different, but will definitely look deeper at it when installing my remote start in my new F150 (hopefully I'll have it in the next 2-3 weeks). The reason it goes off is that your BCM times out and shuts down after about 15 minutes of all the doors being closed. When you hit the first button, it wakes up and sends a pulse through the vehicle that usually causes the alarm to trigger. I might be able to isolate this pulse with some diodes or something, but it might not be possible at all..... I'll post an update if I find anything.

Yes, it's a huge PITA.

If I put in the code, it disarms and unlocks. If I hold 7/8 and 9/0, it locks and arms.

Dingo, without going too in-depth, how did you handle it? Does your Avital have a connection for an auxillary arm/disarm feature? I just want a basic idea of where to start, its been a few years since I installed my alarm and I only have a vague recollection of the option wires and features.

OK, I remember it had an OUTPUT to disarm an OEM alarm, but not sure about the INPUT. So what was the PITA part about it?

I just read the entire Avital 5303 installation guide and there's no arm/disarm inputs, only outputs to a factory alarm.... my Crimestopper RS/Alarm is the same.

Mookie, I think I remembered more about the keypad setting off the alarm too.. Our trucks have four separate door pin switches, and a wire must be run to each door and diode isolated from each other to trigger the alarm if any door gets opened. This is a PITA! The way around it is to use the dome light as your door trigger. The downside is if the dome light comes on, which I believe it does when you press the first keypad button, the alarm gets set off. I know the lazy SOB that installed my alarm did it this way..... oh wait, oops, that was me....:smile0016:

Been doing more reading... apparently a few CodeAlarms have the arm/disarm inputs, but consensus is they're a crappy system. Another option is to hardwire a spare remote that's activated by the keypad and just sends a normal lock or unlock signal to the alarm. You'll still need to correct the pin switch wiring so it doesn't set of the alarm first though.

Latest posts