Is use of heater hose to replace cracked vaccum elbow OK?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal keiner

Reaction score
My check engine light came on and I immediately determined (thanks to reading the posts on this forum on this subject) that the problem was caused by the infamous cracked elbow on the the vacuum line,. Upon reading some advice on this forum, I replaced the cracked elbow with a heater hose elbow that I bought at the auto store.

This solved my problem for now but I have subsequently read on this forum that the use of a heater hose may not be a good long term fix because it may get soft (and collapse) over time. I have no hesitation replacing the heater hose elbow with a proper EOM Ford or Motorcraft vacuum assembly (two elbows and tube) if necessary. However, I would avoid spending the $30-50 for a replacement vacuum assembly if the heater hose elbow is a good enough long term fix.

My question is... Has anyone actually experienced problems with the "heater hose elbow" fix? Would inserting a spring inside the elbow to avoid collapse eliminate any concerrn over the heater hose elbow failing in the future?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
You would be better off with fuel line, if you can find it that bag.

The real issue is that the hose can get coated with oil.

Oil breaks down rubber. The best would be a silicone hose.

Tom

Hi hkeiner,

Your solution was the exact same as mine. I went to an Autozone and got some hose. I kind of bent it into place and it has worked great. I bet that was about 45,000 to 50,000 miles ago. Still going strong.

Tommy

edit: took out pic

I did the same thing to fix mine in a pinch, but it did just that..pinched..(after about 2 weeks) I did not try your spring idea though.. Luckily I picked up an extra OEM one that Todd had..I think you should contact Walls Ford (On the sponsors tab) and order you one.. Just my opinion. ;)

Use a spring on the outside of the hose to hold the bends, and prevent it from collapsing. Most parts stores sell the springs that you bend into position and they hold there shape.

Chad

I have heater hose for mine since last summer. No issues and if there is I'll get another heater hose to fix it again. The guy at Auto Value gave me it for free!!

griff5268

I did the same thing to fix mine in a pinch, but it did just that..pinched..(after about 2 weeks) I did not try your spring idea though.. Luckily I picked up an extra OEM one that Todd had..I think you should contact Walls Ford (On the sponsors tab) and order you one.. Just my opinion.

Did you use a straight piece of heater hose (and then bend it to install) or was it a piece of heater hose already shaped as an elbow. I ask because you are the one person so far that has reported an actual failure of the "heater hose" fix. I would wonder if the difference is whether a straight or elbow shaped heater hose is used. I used the latter type of hose already shaped at as an elbow.

Thanks

I also used an heater hose 90 angle for my ST. The factory hose only lasted 4 years before it failed.

@ 50 bucks for the ford OEM hose, I could replace the heater hose 10 time and still be ahead. If ford used the proper material in the first place we all would not have this problem. Not sure why ford chooses inferior products in there manufacturing? When you use the "FORD built tough" they better mean it. :rolleyes:

I used a straight piece of heater hose and bent it. That was almost 4 years ago. Just checked, still good.

Latest posts