It was a gut-wrenching scraping sound

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
Had a subtle rattle coming from the left front wheel for a couple of weeks. Braking was fine. Front end was tight. I asked a mechanic buddy to look into it this weekend. This morning, I backed out of the garage and heard a loud, nasty scraping sound without hitting the brakes. It went away quickly, so I drove straight to my repair shop (about a mile away).

They got the ST in right away for a free diagnostic inspection. A few minutes later, the mechanic comes out to the waiting room with the verdict. The caliper bolts were gone... as in missing. Huh! They replaced the bolts and I was on my way within 30 minutes. No damage noted. Total cost: $32.

Last edited by a moderator:
Common to be under torqued after replacing rotors. 83 foot pounds is almost lug nut tight. Recent thread below, red or blue thread lock optional. Read linked EF thread.

Had this happen to me as well, tore a hole in my wheel when it went. Had to replace the wheel. I use lock washers and loctite whenever removed now. I've decided once their broken free after the first time, force is not enough to keep them.

I lost 1 caliper bolt on the highway dong 70mph right after a brake job. LUkily I got it home with no damage other than some scrapes on the inside of the wheel.

I would probably have to check my pants if I lost a bolt going 70. That could have turned out horrible. I had a wheel hub assembly completely screwed up after dodging a deer on a crappy back road here in Virginia. It limped another 15 miles or so to a shop going at 25mph.

I believe the service manual calls for new bolts as well whenever the caliper brackets are removed, this could indicate the seriousness. Also new bolts seem to come with red loctite already applied. I used dorman 13898 on my 02 4wd. Packs of 2?2 packs for a few bucks each, why not to ensure your security.

I also didn't own torque wrenchs until I did my brakes. harbor freight has (I think until June, with coupon) 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 torque wrenchs for 9 bucks each. Can't beat that, picked up the 2 smaller sizes (bought the 1/2 before the deal @ 20$)

Beware of split lock washers, they tend to fatigue fracture and are generally not desirable on a highly loaded joint (not used in heavy duty at all). Best bet is to ensure all mounting surfaces are clean, flat and in good condition and properly torque the caliper bolts to spec. Loc-Tite 242 on the threads is a good insurance policy as it is removable for the next brake service.

Latest posts