Items to improve fuel economy

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Hedin

Reaction score
So what are ST owners doing to save fuel these days?

Personally I've been running the tire pressure a little higher than normal.

What have other ST owners done to save on fuel?

Are exspensive plugs worth installing? MSD? Is there an economy tuned chip availible?

I plan my trips better now, and try not to drive as often. I drive the speed limit more and try to avoid "jack-rabbit starts. I also stopped joy-riding off-road on the weekends. :(

I find that if I drive under 60 then I am wayyyy better off. And as you said avoid the "Jack-rabbit" starts. Of course I am only driving back and forth to work and babying it right now but I have gone 2 weeks now on a tank....:D....geez come to think of it that is awesome. I must have been driving like a maniac....LOL

tire pressure up a tuner from WFoy will help i went from average 19 to 22 with tuner i drive like an old man take off slow and drive the speed limit.a bed cover will help on drag from the tail gate the correct oil 5w 30 some run synthetic oil and say it helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Driving under 70 and properly inflated tires. No flooring it at the traffic lights and in general driving passively.

Over all, makes a substantial difference.

i just added STP gas treatment to my truck, ill let u guys know the difference b4 i drive up to college. and i drive with the tailgate down when i go on the highway with my colorado

Since I did the dual exhaust, Y pipe, Flowmaster 50, Mac intake and JBA wires, gas mileage is up. As long as I keep my foot off the floor! It will be a while before I re-coup the money I laid out.

Don't forget about Wayne's tuner also.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, thats a nice study they did. i wonder if they just did it with it lowered. cause they did it with it entirely removed. and the colorado has a "gadget" that u can lower it at 55 degrees. just move the cables. who would have known that with it down it would increase drag. im suprised. i just hope my gas treatment works, and i hear it eats away ur o2 sensor. but the octane booster they make is safe. well how did u find that article? i wonder if i could find one about stp and if they eat away the 02 sensor.

We use my wifes Ford Escape more often now. Much better milage. I let my erands pile up, so the Trac doesnt see as many trips. Somedays the Trac never gets started up.:eek: The Mustang is a different story. It sleeps alot...:lol:

Well Most of the ideas i have read here are Great for saving Feul.... Some it up...

- Lower Tail Gate(or get a Teanu cover $$) Stops drag, will get ALOT more milage.. Especially when highway driving...

- More air in tires.. Try pushing a full wheel barrel of dirt with a slightly inflated tire.. Hare to get it rolling and keep it going.. More air pressure in the tires makes it easier for the tires to roll.

- CAI(Cold Air Intake). Had one on my Mazda(before the Bus drove over it) and it added ALOT more milage.. HOWEVER!!!! If you have a heavy foot, the reverse will happen and you will use MORE GAS!! You can spend anywhere from $50 CDN. for an Ebay CAI to $300+ CDN for a Named brand preformance intake.

- Exhaust. Will increase HP and get you better milage, but at a nice price. gonna spend some good money for this. I would go header befoe i would do exhaust. If you got the money to spend, do full exhaust header to tailpipe!

- Computer Chip. Looking at $300+ US for this chip. JET makes a nice performance chip that literally changed everything from shift points, to feul air mixture. Increases HP, feul efficency ect. Easy to install, but pricey.

- Spark Plugs/Wires. More spark, more fuel is burned. Better use of feul, more milage!

If you wanna do something cheap and Easy, do the plugs and wires and an Ebay CAI. Looking at about $100 CDN(includes Part Shipping) and a couple hours or labour and you will have 8-10+ more HP and better feul consumption.

BEST OF LUCK!

The Jet chips are not comparable with a custom tuned chip or tuner from myself or another SCT dealer. For the price that you pay for the Jet, you can have one custom tuned for your modifications and driving style.

I'm only driving to places that are downhill.

By the way, lowering or removing your tailgate does absolutely nothing. I posted an article a few months ago that a university did about this old 70's urban legend. Adding a cover does help a little but it would take you 10 years to recoup the cost.

I drive my Toyota... on trip to Dallas this past weekend, logged 38.76 mpg. A/C full blast, steady 65mph.

Latest posts