I've Decided to Get Rid of My Sport Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
Because of high gas prices, I'd mulled over getting something else, but this is finally it: If Texans are shunning their big trucks and SUV's, then we're all doomed!:lol:

<embed src="http://services.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/452319854" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=1688114688&playerId=452319854&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

Last edited by a moderator:
You Know Gas Prices Are High When Texans Start Driving Golf Carts

Low-Speed Electric Vehicles Catch On;

Peters Family Jaunts in the Land of Giants

By ANA CAMPOY

July 31, 2008; Page A1

HOUSTON -- In the garage where chiropractor Rick Peters once parked his Dodge pickup, two tiny electric cars now sit back-to-back next to his wife's small SUV.

For trips to work, to run errands or visit friends, Dr. Peters, 43 years old, and his wife, Kris, hop into the munchkin-size cars while their old gas guzzlers gather dust. Admittedly, it's cramped inside the miniautos, which move along city streets at just 25 miles per hour. But the Peterses are converts to their low-speed vehicles.

"It makes so much sense for getting around. We go everywhere in it," says Mrs. Peters, 41.

It's a sure sign electric cars have a future when they're catching on in Texas. Others here, too, are abandoning the family car and driving to the office in what appear to be fancy little golf carts. Small battery-powered vehicles have been on the market for years but have mainly been used by workers driving around factories and university campuses.

The small cars are powered by batteries charged by plugging them into regular 110-volt house current. Though they do look like golf carts, they have heftier frames and more powerful engines. Now, with high gasoline prices driving booming sales, many are going to ordinary folks like the Peterses, who have fallen in love with gasoline-free transportation.

[Rick Peters]

Orders at ZAP, a Santa Rosa, Calif., maker of small electric cars, have exploded to about 50 a day from just five six months ago. Shipments at Chrysler LLC's Global Electric Motorcars, or GEM, which made the Peterses' cars, have jumped 30% from last year's second quarter, with some of its 150 dealerships around the country tripling their sales.

Switching to tiny electric cars requires some big adjustments. With three children, the Peterses must use both their little cars when they take family outings. Every trip is an adventure into the land of the giants where they're dwarfed in traffic by SUVs and trucks. They've had to learn how far -- about 30 miles -- they can go on a single charge. The night they got their first car, they rousted a friend dressed in his pajamas for a test drive and he wound up having to help them push the car home.

The cars aren't for long-distance travel. On average, Andrew Kunev, also of Houston, can go about 25 miles on one charge in his Tic Tac-shaped three-wheeled electric car, which is technically a motorcycle and goes up to 40 mph. He sometimes plugs in his car at friends' homes for a refresher charge while he visits.

To fit his 6-foot-2 frame into the tiny driver's compartment so that he can see properly out the windshield, Mr. Kunev has to recline in his seat.

It's a price he doesn't mind paying considering the gas savings -- more than $100 a month -- and the unexpected bonuses. "You wouldn't think it, but it's a chick-magnet," says the unmarried, 40-year-old chemical engineer, adding that women -- and pretty much everybody else, too -- approach him to talk about his unusual car.

Local Sensation

Owners now for two years, Elaine Triplett and her husband are pioneers in their small East Texas hometown of Palestine, where their tiny electric pickup is a local sensation and has inspired two other people they know to buy electric cars. At the request of her supermarket, she drove the gasoline-free vehicle into the store and parked it next to the produce section for Earth Day.

The Tripletts decided it made financial sense to buy the electric truck even when gasoline was costing them less than $2 a gallon. Their 9-foot-long truck is big enough for all their needs, including hauling lumber for a renovation project, and bringing home a 9-foot Christmas tree.

The Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
A cheaper alternative I saw on our Tulsa, OK news channel www.kjrh.com.

Our news link... they did a consumer report on it. Tried it on their news vehicles. It worked.

I tell ya, this and the small scooters are not bad ideas for just local runs to the store or park etc near home.

One of the things I like about high gas prices is it's forcing those idiots that have no need for a truck or large SUV to buy something more practical. My idiot neighbor across the street has a big F-250 but he doesn't tow anything and rarely, if ever, uses the bed. He hasn't driven it in months now.

Hopefully, in the future I will be able to find a parking spot in a mall here in Texas. :)

On average, Andrew Kunev, also of Houston, can go about 25 miles on one charge in his Tic Tac-shaped three-wheeled electric car, which is technically a motorcycle and goes up to 40 mph. He sometimes plugs in his car at friends' homes for a refresher charge while he visits.

To fit his 6-foot-2 frame into the tiny driver's compartment so that he can see properly out the windshield, Mr. Kunev has to recline in his seat.

It's a price he doesn't mind paying considering the gas savings -- more than $100 a month -- and the unexpected bonuses. "You wouldn't think it, but it's a chick-magnet," says the unmarried, 40-year-old chemical engineer, adding that women -- and pretty much everybody else, too -- approach him to talk about his unusual car.

So he's paying friends for the electricity to recharge this "chick-magnet", right? If not, then he's a mooch!:rolleyes:

And I didn't notice a gun rack in the back window of any of these vehicles. And these people call themselves Texans?:blink:

If it doesn't come with an A/C, I wouldn't use it here in Texas in the summer with our 105 deg temps. I refuse to trade gas for sweat. ;)

If it doesn't come with an A/C, I wouldn't use it here in Texas in the summer with our 105 deg temps. I refuse to trade gas for sweat.

You got that right. I was reading something the other day about saving gas and it said to turn your engine off when stopped for long periods. Like I'm going to turn off my ac when it's a 100 degrees. :blink:

I don't think you'd save much fuel by shutting the engine off unless you were stuck in a major traffic jam/accident and were stopped for around 30 min or longer.

I've heard of people that shut their engines off while traveling down hill.....very dumb idea since if you had to change lanes quickly, without power steering and brakes, could end you up in an accident.

Actually they say with modern engines if your idling more than a couple of minutes you should turn your vehicle off.

Is this guy INSANE putting his family inside this glorified golf cart? Yea, he drives safely, but when a Ford Excusion misses a light and broadside him and his family...TRAGEDY.

I don't drive anything without a steel frame underneath and DOORS. I will GLADLY pay for gas to keep my family SAFE.

Bottom line, gas prices suck, but the prices suck for EVERYONE. Maybe conserving gas by consolidating trips, taking a walk, etc. will save some cash.

I am confident that my ST and my wife's Explorer will survive most crashes. I will drive the golf cart between holes on the golf course.

DRIVE SMART/DRIVE SAFE.

The shame that family must endure driving a golf cart around town. Gas prices are not nearly high enough for me to suck in my pride and drive a golf cart. Also its way to hot here. Gotta have A/C

It looks like the attention they are getting is mostly positive. The problem I have is what do you do when it's nice and sunny when you go to the office, and raining so hard you can't see the car in front of you when you leave? With no doors, it seems that staying dry would be pretty much impossible.

And it can rain here in Houston! Pearland, which is just south of Houston, holds the US record for most rainfall in a single day, with 45(48? 44? somewhere in there) inches of rain in a 24 hour period.

On another note, some people in our neighborhood use golf carts in the neighborhood, and have for years.

Latest posts