Joining as a possible buyer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeletoes

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm shopping for a new vehicle and considering a few different sport Trac options. One is an adrenaline and I'm unsure the normal selling price for these special edition models. I've seen on craigslist ads clean examples of adrenaline models ranging from $13k to $25k. Is there a common price for an adrenaline model?

Another is being advertised for $500 and ad states locksmith tried cutting new keys and the programming didn't work so now the comp is fried? Doesn't seem legit to me, and a little searching makes me think someone tried to steal it and the anti theft kicked in. What should I be looking for with this one? Should the dash and aux components still work, just an engine that won't start? Something else or any red flags that would confirm the "computer needs replaced"?

And the other options are just the safe bets, moderate mileage vehicles in the $5-$10k range depending on miles/condition. Are there known issues to look for with the sport Trac? I think the 4.0 V6 is a pretty reliable motor, are the trans or drivelines known to fail anywhere? Body parts or electronics that regularly fail?

Thanks for any help input or leads for more research.

Anyone have input on model years, are some better than others? I've seen something on another thread here saying things like job 1 and job 2, what's that all about? Are the v8 options more or less reliable than the 4.0 v6?

Hello Skeletoes. From my research on the sport tracs the 2nd generation seemed to be a better choice. If towing, the 2009 Adrenalin AWD with the 4.6L engine is listed as being able to tow up to almost 7000 lbs. Mine tows our 3500 lb RV trailer with no problems.

My neighbor has a 2005 ST with a 4.0 and he claims it is a little slow to get up to highway speeds. I read that the first generation ST also had more transmission problems. There are a lot more experienced owners on this site that can hopefully chime in with more about the differences.

I was hesitant to buy a vehicle with 145 K miles on it, but it ran good and had all the bells and whistles. No regrets. It's a very versatile vehicle. Good luck on your quest.

I have had a 2010 adrenaline AWD v8 since new and still love it. 180,000km and only the wheel bearings and differential has had to be fixed.

Anyone have input on model years, are some better than others? I've seen something on another thread here saying things like job 1 and job 2, what's that all about? Are the v8 options more or less reliable than the 4.0 v6?
I have an
2004 XLT 4 X 4, 147,000 miles,
ARE full door topper, it is white ST is tan. could be painted
Comes with original tailgate, factory tonneau cover, and bed extender
Near Medford Oregon
Dash has been repaired by “Circutboardmedics.”
Aluminum thermostat housing
2nd owner
Worn spot on drivers seat
This was my wife's rig I was going to sell it. Just have not
Saw your post, thought I would let you know about it

I have an
2004 XLT 4 X 4, 147,000 miles,
ARE full door topper, it is white ST is tan. could be painted
Comes with original tailgate, factory tonneau cover, and bed extender
Near Medford Oregon
Dash has been repaired by “Circutboardmedics.”
Aluminum thermostat housing
2nd owner
Worn spot on drivers seat
This was my wife's rig I was going to sell it. Just have not
Saw your post, thought I would let you know about it
Is it on Medford's Craigslist?

For the 2001~2005 Gen1 SportTracs with the V6~4.0L~SOHC, I'd consider 2003 the "sweet spot".
Early bugs had been worked out & last year with EasierToTroubleShoot PreHEC InstrumentCluster+PCM.
Otherwise I'd be looking for as late a model Gen2 as possible, V6 or V8 as you prefer.
If you don't need a full backseat & V8, consider a later model Ranger ExtendedCab,
it's the same frame+wheelbase & V6~4.0L~SOHC drivetrain as the SportTrac.

First, the Sport Trac is one of the best looking trucks Ford ever made, but it’s not really a Truck, but an SUV with a small fiberglass truck bed. In my opinion, Ford really screwed up when they cancelled the Sport Trac. It still has a huge following, but the “Rally Clubs” have all but died off over time (unlike the Mustang).
My first was a 2005 XLT with the 4.0 V6. It was great, but towing with it was taking a toll on it. The 2001-2006 models are considered first generation or GEN1. The 4.0 V6 has a lot of timing chain issues after about 150k miles and the trans is fragile, with lots of shifting issues posted. I see lots of posts about instrument cluster problems, rust, vacuum hose and electrical issues. If you buy a GEN1, try and find one that’s been well maintained not one that needs work or you will always be working on it.
The 2007-2010 models are considered second generation or GEN2. The GEN2 was a significant improvement over the GEN1. Heavier frame, 4.6L V8 option, and one of Ford’s best transmissions, the 6-speed AWD/4X4. My current Sport Trac is a 2010 Limited 4X4 with Microsoft Link and the 6-speed automatic transmission. It has lots of power and towing is significantly better (Boat and 3-ton Trailer towed with ease). Maintenance has been much easier and overall more reliable than the GEN1 models. Gas mileage isn’t the best but not that much worse than the V6 and I think that’s due to weight more than anything else. I’m retired and don’t drive long distances anymore so my 2010 only has 47K miles on it (Dealers wife had it for the first 4 years of it’s life and it was mostly left in the garage, so I’m the first “titled” owner), I was lucky to find one with such low mileage, but they are out there.
The GEN2 Adrenalin models are obviously the top of the line after the Limited models, but not a lot of difference. Mostly just trim options. From what I’ve seen, people are keeping them in better condition that any of the XL models, so I think I would avoid buying any XL models and if you decide on a GEN1, only get an Adrenalin GEN1. Hope all this helps.

Last edited:
Are the floors in all of the different models all vinyl?
I’m not sure about that, but both my 2005 and my 2010 were that way. They did come with carpet mats that locked into place. I replaced mine with traditional rubber mats that would lock in place as they are easier to keep clean.

Mine is an 08 with vinyl mat. I prefer it over carpet. Easier to clean. I do have the Sport trac carpet mats which "hook" in and out and are easy to keep clean. If the get muddy (I don't normally do mud), I simply shampoo them and let them dry. BTW - does anyone know where replacements can be purchased? Might want put new ones in and can't find any with the words Sport Trac on them.

Is there some sort of trap door in the bed of some of these trucks? Pics in a few ads look like there's a hatch or something up near the cab.

My 2009 STA has 3. One long one in front, two smaller ones in back behind wheel wells. One in front is hard to get to.

20220628_171515.jpg20220628_171446.jpg20220628_171620.jpg

Not 100% but pretty close to it. They have a rubber gasket on the lid and a recess to the compartment with drainage holes. Inside storage bins also have drainage holes.

My neighbor has a 2005 ST (1st generation) and he does not have storage like this. He might be selling his shortly when his 2022 hybrid Maverick comes in at end of July. New motor 12K miles ago. I would buy it, but I have one. Photo below shows drain and gasket on lid.

View attachment 3461

Thanks for the replies. I think if I ever sell this truck of mine I'm going to hunt for a 2nd gen v8 4wd. That seems like the right fit for me and the kids looking forward. Would those storage bins with the drains hold ice for a while? Or are they sitting right in top of something hot?

Thanks for the replies. I think if I ever sell this truck of mine I'm going to hunt for a 2nd gen v8 4wd. That seems like the right fit for me and the kids looking forward. Would those storage bins with the drains hold ice for a while? Or are they sitting right in top of something hot?
Have you seen my 2008 V8 Limited? Worth a look if you are serious. Cheers. Ted.

Latest posts