Joining as a possible buyer

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First, the Sport Trac is one of the best looking trucks Ford ever made, but it’s not really a Truck, but an SUV with a small fiberglass truck bed. In my opinion, Ford really screwed up when they cancelled the Sport Trac. It still has a huge following, but the “Rally Clubs” have all but died off over time (unlike the Mustang).
My first was a 2005 XLT with the 4.0 V6. It was great, but towing with it was taking a toll on it. The 2001-2006 models are considered first generation or GEN1. The 4.0 V6 has a lot of timing chain issues after about 150k miles and the trans is fragile, with lots of shifting issues posted. I see lots of posts about instrument cluster problems, rust, vacuum hose and electrical issues. If you buy a GEN1, try and find one that’s been well maintained not one that needs work or you will always be working on it.
The 2007-2010 models are considered second generation or GEN2. The GEN2 was a significant improvement over the GEN1. Heavier frame, 4.6L V8 option, and one of Ford’s best transmissions, the 6-speed AWD/4X4. My current Sport Trac is a 2010 Limited 4X4 with Microsoft Link and the 6-speed automatic transmission. It has lots of power and towing is significantly better (Boat and 3-ton Trailer towed with ease). Maintenance has been much easier and overall more reliable than the GEN1 models. Gas mileage isn’t the best but not that much worse than the V6 and I think that’s due to weight more than anything else. I’m retired and don’t drive long distances anymore so my 2010 only has 47K miles on it (Dealers wife had it for the first 4 years of it’s life and it was mostly left in the garage, so I’m the first “titled” owner), I was lucky to find one with such low mileage, but they are out there.
The GEN2 Adrenalin models are obviously the top of the line after the Limited models, but not a lot of difference. Mostly just trim options. From what I’ve seen, people are keeping them in better condition that any of the XL models, so I think I would avoid buying any XL models and if you decide on a GEN1, only get an Adrenalin GEN1. Hope all this helps.
I’m looking at a 2007 4.0 V6. How would I know if it has the 5 speed transmission or 6 speed transmission? It’s not 4x4

First, the Sport Trac is one of the best looking trucks Ford ever made, but it’s not really a Truck, but an SUV with a small fiberglass truck bed. In my opinion, Ford really screwed up when they cancelled the Sport Trac. It still has a huge following, but the “Rally Clubs” have all but died off over time (unlike the Mustang).
My first was a 2005 XLT with the 4.0 V6. It was great, but towing with it was taking a toll on it. The 2001-2006 models are considered first generation or GEN1. The 4.0 V6 has a lot of timing chain issues after about 150k miles and the trans is fragile, with lots of shifting issues posted. I see lots of posts about instrument cluster problems, rust, vacuum hose and electrical issues. If you buy a GEN1, try and find one that’s been well maintained not one that needs work or you will always be working on it.
The 2007-2010 models are considered second generation or GEN2. The GEN2 was a significant improvement over the GEN1. Heavier frame, 4.6L V8 option, and one of Ford’s best transmissions, the 6-speed AWD/4X4. My current Sport Trac is a 2010 Limited 4X4 with Microsoft Link and the 6-speed automatic transmission. It has lots of power and towing is significantly better (Boat and 3-ton Trailer towed with ease). Maintenance has been much easier and overall more reliable than the GEN1 models. Gas mileage isn’t the best but not that much worse than the V6 and I think that’s due to weight more than anything else. I’m retired and don’t drive long distances anymore so my 2010 only has 47K miles on it (Dealers wife had it for the first 4 years of it’s life and it was mostly left in the garage, so I’m the first “titled” owner), I was lucky to find one with such low mileage, but they are out there.
The GEN2 Adrenalin models are obviously the top of the line after the Limited models, but not a lot of difference. Mostly just trim options. From what I’ve seen, people are keeping them in better condition that any of the XL models, so I think I would avoid buying any XL models and if you decide on a GEN1, only get an Adrenalin GEN1. Hope all this helps.
I was looking at a 2007 4.0 v6 that has 205,000.00 miles. After reading this it is a 2007 with the 4.0 not 4.6 so are the timing chain still a concern? Also it has the 5R55S transmission. I believe that is the 5 speed transmission. With those miles and the fact it’s the 4.0 not 4.6 is this risky? No history on car fax would make me think the timing cassette was ever changed. The only thing I notice is that the traction control button does not turn off the dash symbol. My mechanic said that would need a new traction control module and they are expressive. Is that true? Is the button store to turn the traction control on and off just by pushing it?

Latest posts